what apple apps for ipad/iphone?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
VinSnr
Administrator

what apple apps for ipad/iphone?

Post by VinSnr »

Hi guys...

What are the good astro apps (free is best, but can be paid) for iphone/ipad at the moment?

Also, anything that can be use to do DSLR imaging?
swimaniac

Post by swimaniac »

I got myself "Star Walk" and find it rather useful as I am hopeless at finding my way around the night sky. Especially useful if you have a Iphone 3 GS as it uses it's built in compass. It is supposed to be a "IYA 2009 Official Product"

Can't remember how much it was.
Swim or Sink
Pete
Favourite scope: Celestron NexStar 8SE

Post by Pete »

I use SkyVoyager and StarmapPro. SkyVoyager is great for just pointing your iPhone at an object and identifying it, whereas StarmapPro has a great feature called "Tonight" which shows you exactly what's viewable that night (and you can sort it by magnitude or rise time).

I hadn't heard of Astromist, I'll give that a try.
Pete
Favourite scope: Celestron NexStar 8SE

Post by Pete »

I've been using the Tonight feature to get a general idea of the brightest objects, and then going into Astroplanner if I'm planning in detail - that software is fantastic, you can even sort by shortest slew distance!

I'm really looking forward to this stuff on an iPad too - it's July, where are they? :)
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Guys..thanks for all the inputs. Keep it rolling.

BTW, I already got the ipad 3G...bought direct from States. This is why now looking at apps.....but realised that the Singapore apps store is very limited. best is still have a US itunes account and access the US apps store.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I use Starmap Pro. It is pretty good and Tonight feature is wonderful as it tells the list of visible targets according to magnitude. Also Starmap Pro allows the user to see the planet's satellite positions. The red light feature for night time use is very good and I find the screen nicely dim for dark sky observing (tried at Kahang) and it allows adjustment of brightness too. I dun own Iphone (using Ipod only) so I do not know about the pointing accuracy of the software to the stars. Lastly, it has many many objects available and many many stars and even has overlay for Telrad on the star chart for easy pointing to the object using Telrad/ Quickfinder equipped scope.
AstroDuck