Star Maps for Use in Singapore

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

vngks,
I suggest Stellarium and a laptop or even using your home PC and observing from the window.
I've found that the ability to zoom stellarium and making its FOV roughly equal to that of your binos very useful as what you see on the screen is roughly what you also see in your binos :) And its free!!!! :)
DON'T PANIC
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

vngks wrote:So basically for a beginner like me, all I need is a pair of binos and my iPhone to start off on this great hobby right? Oh and good seeing conditions too.
Yes... you can get the free starmap app (not the pro version) and it works well with Iphone. The sky chart moves together with you as the Iphone has compass. Location is simple due to gps.
AstroDuck
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

cloud_cover wrote:vngks,
I suggest Stellarium and a laptop or even using your home PC and observing from the window.
I've found that the ability to zoom stellarium and making its FOV roughly equal to that of your binos very useful as what you see on the screen is roughly what you also see in your binos :) And its free!!!! :)
The Starmap is able to zoom and even better still allow overlaying of Telrad reticle, setting FOV for different eyepieces and telescopes, setting the FOV inverted or mirror. Etc.. with an iphone the map will follow you so what you see what you get on the screen. Furthermore, it allows night vision mode and it will turn red colour. There's lots more features then what I have described.
AstroDuck
vngks

Post by vngks »

Ok thanks guys. Actually, I already bought Star Walk on the iPhone. Love the graphics haha.

I'll check out Stellarium.

Cheers.