where to buy Astro Books?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
orly_andico

where to buy Astro Books?

Post by orly_andico »

particularly I've always wanted Guy Consolmagno's Turn Left at Orion, Wil Tirion's Binocular Astronomy, and Phil Harrington's Touring the Universe Through Binoculars.

Anyplace I can get these locally? or is Amazon the only alternative?
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

Hi,

PageOne at Vivo City has a good collection of astro books. I think Turn Left at Orion is there. Don't know about the rest. Also you can try Borders.
christopher
Gary

Post by Gary »

Kinokuniya Takashimaya has the best range of astro books followed by Borders at Wheelock.

You can search and call them to reserve the books for 3 days:
http://www.kinokuniya.com.sg/
Last edited by Gary on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

by golly you're right Gary! thanks!!!

now I know why my friend always goes to Kinokuniya...
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Yah Kinokuniya at Takashimaya! Thats the main branch and they stock the best of the best range! I always pay it a visit once every month and end up spending $200-300 on a collection of Astro books, Illustration books, Digital Art reference books, my daughter's story books, my wife's books...etc etc. Then it's a meal nearby!

Don't buy much from Border's as they only carry good magazines,...then again Kinokuniya carries the range of higher end publishings. Get the card while your at it!!

Incidently, I was there last week and picked up a book on Astronomy targets (sorry can't recall the tittle as I type) but I did see the 'Turn left at Orion' book there!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Worse comes to worse...there's Amazon. Borders at wheelock used to have a shelf full of astro books but not sure if they still have them but agree kinokuniya has a bigger collection as they are bigger too.
I used to have this book but sold it off already as I prefer the Astronomer's backyard Guide. [smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
leechriz

Post by leechriz »

Just a word of caution on online bookstores like Amazon. I bought a couple of astro books from Amazon a year ago and one of the books arrived with a crumpled cover. It wasn't due to the shipment as the box was in good condition and it's too expensive to ship back to them for a replacement. I'd suggest that you buy the books from the local book stores and only order online when the publication is not available here.
Last edited by leechriz on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Another alternative is to check bookstores like Kino, Borders and see which publications they carry. If they have the book you want with a publication name they carry, they could order it in for you instead.
I've ordered my Fantasy Art reference books from Kino many times. These hardcovers cost anything from $98-$150!! Amazon carries them too, but as leechriz mentioned, the unfortunate can happen. I have heard some friends have probs with Amazon orders too!
Last thing I ordered was some time back on several Photography books which I paid for fast shipping! And yeah! You guessed it,....it took the normal shipping time + a day late!! I could email my life away but they will never answer....can't really trust the fast shipment option!
Hence why I spend so much at Kino every month..hehe! I need a new shelving cabinet now for more books and my Spawn Toys!!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Just came back from Borders. Interestingly, they have slightly expanded their astro collection. Now it is about 2 full shelf of astro books. Could it be signs of astronomy picking up in Singapore? :)

Saw at least 8 copies of the latest Third Edition of The Backyard Astronomer's Guide (hardcover). About $90++. Wonderful book and illustrations. Moreover, 8" SCT is used quite frequently as an example to illustrated certain concepts. :) Great book for beginners to read before buying telescopes and accessories.

http://www.backyardastronomy.com/Backya ... Guide.html

On a separate note, Borders now have these ugly big black square "warning" stickers on their floor reminding people to read magazines only at the magazines section. And not allowed to sit here and not allow to sit there, ...etc. Great, a Book store making the reading/browsing experience as uncomfortable for its customers as possible. Well done. Everyone should just jam up the narrow walkways inbetween magazine shelves. That's really smart thinking.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Gary wrote:Saw at least 8 copies of the latest Third Edition of The Backyard Astronomer's Guide (hardcover). About $90++. Wonderful book and illustrations. Moreover, 8" SCT is used quite frequently as an example to illustrated certain concepts. :) Great book for beginners to read before buying telescopes and accessories.

http://www.backyardastronomy.com/Backya ... Guide.html

On a separate note, Borders now have these ugly big black square "warning" stickers on their floor reminding people to read magazines only at the magazines section. And not allowed to sit here and not allow to sit there, ...etc. Great, a Book store making the reading/browsing experience as uncomfortable for its customers as possible. Well done. Everyone should just jam up the narrow walkways inbetween magazine shelves. That's really smart thinking.
That's what happens when everyone start treating the bookstore like a library and worse, allowing unsupervised kids to damage or wear downs books so they become unsellable. I've seen this in action all the time. Imagine buying a "brand new" copy of your Backyard Astronomers's Guide and many people have already read it before you bought it.

At some point in time, when people are not buying enough books to justify the space for chairs and sacrificial browsing copies, that's when they do what you indicated above.

BTW, have to agree that book is really great for beginners as it is choked full of good stuff. I previously owned an older edition before I bought the current one because it is thicker and had more colour pictures!

[smilie=cool.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets