Seeing M78 and Flame Nebula

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Seeing M78 and Flame Nebula

Post by cloud_cover »

Just wondering, are these 2 objects visible in an 80ED or an 8" scope?
I tried for the flame and saw nothing 2 nights ago using a VMC200L and Nagler 20T5, 9T1.
Didn't try for M78 though. Would that be visible too?
Thanks! :)
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

The surface brightness of the nebulas are relatively low, thus you might have difficulty seeing them under SG skies with all the light pollution. Tired searching for M78 using Chris's 8inch goto in Punggai but couldnt see it. Maybe it is due to the light pollution as Orion was still low in the horizon then
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

according to one of my observing buddies in the Philippines, from a dark sky site we used to go to (much darker than Punggai), the Flame Nebula is visible in an 8" scope.

in fact, when we were there, he told me "it's right there!" when looking through my 10" dob (passed on to Gary.. passed on to?) but i could not see it myself. must be training the eye.
cloud_cover

Post by cloud_cover »

M42 was clearly visible in bat-wing shape but didn't manage to see other non-stellar DSOs that evening. Spent most of my time collimating and aligning though.
I remember the one time I was in Punggai was even able to see the hole in the dumbell with an 8"SCT (can't remember whose!)
Orly --> Just as long as he doesn't have flame shapes on his retina! *grin*
Well, my UHC and OIII filters just arrived yesterday, hopefully with them I might be able to pick out something against our very bright sky.
DON'T PANIC
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

With the cloudy nights past months and the layer of hazy sky this December, even M42 wasn't that apparent apart from the Trapezium. Not easy to catch the gas clouds when seeing is this bad. We may have to wait till this monsoon is over and the hot days come which would hopefully be soon.
But yes these are low in brightness and can be difficult to catch with any scope apart from 8" and above. However on clear nights, I have caught a patchy glow from the Lagoon Nebula. So alot has to do with seeing and as Orly mentioned, trained eyes. Sometimes we just miss it!

But let us know how it goes with the new Filters!! Interested on what is visible through them!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
cloud_cover

Post by cloud_cover »

timatworksg wrote: But let us know how it goes with the new Filters!! Interested on what is visible through them!!
Its been cloudy since they arrived, but Ann Kok was the color of the Grinch on both the OIII and UHC and the grass downstairs looks better defined. :)
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

this weather curiously coincides with Kevin's purchase of loads of astro-gear.

grab the pitchforks and torches! let's get 'im boys!!!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Ann Kok the color of the Grinch...HAHAAHAH! Urm...you were testing the filtersout weren't you??? hmmm??...jk!

@Orly
Not entirely his fault...I bought stuff too,...Muahahaha!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
cloud_cover

Post by cloud_cover »

The filters only have a 2" diameter! Since the "curse" is proportional to total aperture of ALL scopes bought in a region, I can't possibly be contributing much!
Tim --> yeah, tried them out on my TV since the skies were not conducive to viewing at all. very interesting effects...
DON'T PANIC
Junming-jm

Post by Junming-jm »

fizzy123 wrote:The surface brightness of the nebulas are relatively low, thus you might have difficulty seeing them under SG skies with all the light pollution. Tired searching for M78 using Chris's 8inch goto in Punggai but couldnt see it. Maybe it is due to the light pollution as Orion was still low in the horizon then
which chris