Changes in Earth's Rotation

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
andeelym

Changes in Earth's Rotation

Post by andeelym »

I know its kinda insensitive to ask this now, but will the recent change in Earth's rotation cause any stargazing problems to us?

I know it might not but alot, but will it cause issues to long exposure astrophotography?

Just curious.
kensou

Post by kensou »

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

No lah...the changes are very minor. The rotation rate changes each time there is a major geographical event such as the volcanoe eruption last year and the Japan quake this year. But they are so slight you won't notice any difference in your life time. [smilie=cool.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

I am not concerned about the rotation rate but I read that the rotation axis was shifted as well. So what I worry is that will it affect astrophotography?
swat_pup6433

Post by swat_pup6433 »

hmm not very sure thou.. lol if one day you realized ur mount's sidereal rate tracking cant seem to hold the stars in place even after doing precise aligment.. then you can tell.. we are pretty screwed.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

andeelym wrote:I am not concerned about the rotation rate but I read that the rotation axis was shifted as well. So what I worry is that will it affect astrophotography?
Thats called precession, I think but its a very slow process and you can notice it if you keep track over a few thousand years. Nonetheless, the effects are very minor over several hours which is the normal time for astrophotography.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets