small scope section

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
chris shaw

small scope section

Post by chris shaw »

We should have a dedicated section for small scopes - like 3-4 inch reflectors, refractors and catadioptrics. Granted some of us have 8 to 10 inch light buckets but many still enjoy collecting fossil light in small grab-n-go scopes.

Chris
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Hrmm, i have a 4.3" rafractor. Does that make it a small scope or a moderate scope??

Charlie
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

Small. An 8 inch scope can be thought of as the smallest of large scopes or the largest of small scopes. For this section, I think the former should apply. So a small scope should be anything smaller than 8 inches. (although a 7 inch mak WEIGHS like a large scope)

For a start: I have been looking for 'a list of BEST OBJECTS to see for small scopes' for a friend who just bought a second hand 4.5 inch Newtonian reflector but cannot really find such a website. Anyone has any idea whether such a list exists?

Chris
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Anyone has any idea whether such a list exists?
For the Singapore context, Singastro members would have no problems generating such lists. Maybe we can combine all our personal "Top 20" lists and come up with a "Top 50" or "Top 100" :D

But a more general guide on what you can see with a small telescope is in the form of this book called "Turn Left at Orion".
Samuel Ng
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

hmm.. dunno how u guys classify scopes. i guess transportation plays a big part here. whether u have a car affects ur view completely.

personally i dun think aperature is the onie consideration. a 4inch f/10 refractor is way too big to be even consider small, but it's onie 4inch in terms of aperature. an 8 inch sct may sound big in terms of aperature but it's really small, light and easily portable.

for me(no car T.T) small and portable means refractor 3inch and below, focal length less than 600mm. for cassegrain, it must be 5 inch and below. most newts doesn't fit into small scope.

~MooEy~
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

Regarding scope sizes, sorry 'small' means specifically - 8 inch below for reflector and catadioptric but for refractor - lets say 4 inch and below? I am not talking about weight here, but 'small' in terms of aperture.

Turn Left at Orion is a good book. But what I was looking for was a list and what it looks like thru our Singastro small scopes.

Chris
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
To me, any scope that can be move around and setup by one person is consider small... any scope that can be move around, but cannot be setup by one person is consider a mordate size and any scope that cannot be move will fall under the large scope category.... :)

By the way, small to me doesn't mean small to you... Size are relative and everyone has their definition. So as long as you are happy with your scope, who care about whether it is small or large.... :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

Haha, this discussion is repeated by all astro groups, recall seeing a similar thread in Cloudy nights. Most of us have several differing criteria
1. Size (BLH)
2. Aperture (The OTHER size)
3. Portability

So... like weixing says... SIZE is relative? Sounds like some other male discussions we have from time to time eh? =P

Oh btw, weixing, u dun happen to work at nokia wheelock do u?
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

chris shaw wrote: I have been looking for 'a list of BEST OBJECTS to see for small scopes' for a friend who just bought a second hand 4.5 inch Newtonian reflector but cannot really find such a website. Anyone has any idea whether such a list exists?

Chris
Hi.

I'm curious about your friend's 4.5" newtonian. Can I ask where is it from and how much your friend spent?

I'm considering investing in a 4.5" celestron newtonian from the states as well, but the shipping is a killer.. any help?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Have you try the Astro Scientific Centre... It may be cheaper than get one and ship from oversea... Also you can check the optics first and ensure that the scope is in good quality... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: