small scope section

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Try AstroScientific when they are going to revise there prices. Not now though....

Charlie
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi.

I'm curious about your friend's 4.5" newtonian. Can I ask where is it from and how much your friend spent?

I'm considering investing in a 4.5" celestron newtonian from the states as well, but the shipping is a killer.. any help?
Hi Chris,

What's your budget ? If you would like to consider our Skywatcher version (114mm f8 with CG3 equivalent mount), I can ship it in via Surface Mail straight from Canada for you. Your scope package will be covered fully by insurance and the manufacturer's 1 year limited warranty will still apply.

Leave me a PM if you're interested and we can work out the price. I'll try my best to help you out.
Samuel Ng
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

The VIXEN 114mm newtonian my friend bought was a second hand one and he bought it for $500 with alt/az mount and two eyepieces - a 16mm and 8 mm. (size 0.965). All Japanese optics as it is 6 years old.

You can buy a brand new China made Celestron newtonian 114mm at Astro Scientific now for $799. I believe that is the price. You also get two 1.25 inch eyepieces but the focal length isn't ideal.

Chris
Terry

Post by Terry »

I brought a Celestron firstscope 70 from Astro Scientific 3 years ago and it costed me around $700. I have not been using the scope for a long time as it is too small and I cannot see any deep sky objects. Planets looked very tiny and heavy light pollution worsten my view. The maximum power that can be achieve is 150x with two eyepieces (6mm & 10mm). The f.l. is 900mm. I now decided to sell it away and look for a larger scope, but I have to wait for a lot of years before I have enough money to buy it. Can a barlow be used for my scope to increase the power? or shall I look for a larger scope?
Last edited by Terry on Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

Hmmm actually Terry, 150x is quite a good average for most of the time already... which planets were you refering to? It's not really the size of the planets (hundreds of millions of km away) It's more to do with whether u can resolve the detail. Eg, Jupiter can see the bands, Saturn can see the division in the rings, IMHO.

Anyway, to barlow (2x) maybe excessive since 6mm is at the lower limit of the scope already. Perhaps you should instead think of investing in better EPs instead, i assume that you're using the EPs included which are SMAs, a plossl might improve the view given the better quality specs they are manufactured to.

Of course, maybe it's coz I'm using a 76mm refractor myself and i find myself reasonably satisfied with the view.

Tee Meng
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

Hey Chris Yeo,
I believe Astro Scientific has a celestron C114 that is currently on sale. I'm not too sure whether they are still have it or its sold out but its worth a try!

www.astro.com.sg

Look to the top right hand corner... there shud be this 'promotion' or 'sale' section... Take a look. Might find somethign that will interest u... Its below 1 k so it could be helpfull...

Aq85
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

chris shaw wrote:The VIXEN 114mm newtonian my friend bought was a second hand one and he bought it for $500 with alt/az mount and two eyepieces - a 16mm and 8 mm. (size 0.965). All Japanese optics as it is 6 years old.
Wah.. if only someone can sell me a second hand with that aperture and that price..

Aq85, thanks for the info.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
StarMatrix got a used Vixen 127 Maksutov on sale: S$700... but I can't find any information on it... may be you can ask StarMatrix.
Anyway, I know that Vixen got 90 Maksutov(Viper MC90L), but does Vixen got a 127 Maksutov???
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

yeah... they do have one.. but its the OTA only. so it might cost mre with a tripod and all..

AQ85
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

Woah first scope 70!

Yup personally i think the apperture is too small too be used in singapore. Although in good nights that app will be enough, but when you increase the magnificantion to look at DSOs, more light is dispersed per area of your FOV(field of view), maybe thats why you dont enjoy at all.

My suggestion is keep that scope will saving for another. What price can ya sell that for and wont ya be tempted to use it? :wink:
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers