Quiting SingAstro forums

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,All
After this short interlude(of joining singastro) in my hobby --astronomy--I finally decide to quit this forum for the following reasons
1)Not much people interested in solar observing which I am keenly(after 1978) interested.
2)Too restrictive in idea and concept.A recent post of mind on "bright band occurence on sun with flood worldwide" proves it.Explorative astronomy (with reasoning or 1:1 seemly matching)as of explanation of certain astronomical phenomenon is absent;and when posted--as this one--locked or reposted as abeng aseng coffee talk.
As such,I am quiting(no more replies) but will log in ocassionally at 'buy and sell" for perhaps useful equipment for solar observing;and of course NOT quit my astronomy hobby but will continue to observe and put my stuff in my astroblog.For those interested interested,I will definitely put my opinion and related photos in perhaps next year july/june fl... . Finally I wish to THANK all those who had sell me items which made my observation journey possible.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Hi Superiorstream,

A pity you have decided on quitting Singastro forum.

I have joined Singastro since 2009, and have gained valuable insights from more experience folks like Gary, Wei Xing and others. Opinions do differ sometimes, but that is what we want, a diversity of views.

The folks here is more friendly, and I guess this is partly due to the fact we are all bound together but a not-for-profit hobby. A common interest.

Anyway just my 2 cents lah...

:)
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Mr Chia,

Just want to contribute my 2 cents regarding your decision.

(1) Amateur astronomy itself is already a niche hobby globally. To mainly focus on one aspect within the hobby makes that subject of focus more niche. And to do that in small country with a small population with a general absence of good dark clear skies makes that even more niche.

So, it is perfectly normal and understandable situation (as least as of now) for people in general or members in this forum to be less interested in any one specific aspect of amateur astronomy - e.g. Solar observation.

Thus you should not be discouraged about lack of interest in the forum or in Singapore generally. In fact, you should use that as motivation to promote what you love to more people who may enjoy it. Especially with the upcoming solar max period.

Due to the nature of a forum, some posts may not have replies while some may have a lot. In the event you do not get much replies for your solar observation posts, it does not necessarily mean your posts have no value or totally not interesting. It is a well known fact in any forum that only about 5-10% of member contribute while the rest are main lurkers and reading posts only. Thus, the effect of your posts and others cannot be measured by number of replies solely.

Case in point, it is precisely because of posts from solar observers like yourself, alfred, theo-007 and others that stir my interest in wishing to observe the Sun a bit more. I asked myself what could possibly drove these solar observers to be so committed about their interest. These posts kept the subject of Solar observing in my consciousness. Else, if all solar observers stop posting, I am sure I would be less interested and reminded about this aspect of visual astronomy.

Thus, a few months ago, James was kind enough to loan me his white light solar filter and I had my first view of Sun. It was a tremendous experience. Then, last Punggai trip, I was very lucky to have Alfred showing me the hydrogen alpha view of the Sun. Seeing the prominences live through the scope is absolutely amazing even though I have seen photos of them many times. Due to time constraint, I did not have time to blog about them yet. But I will definitely do once I clear my backlogs and especially during the year-end monsoon period.

(2) In any forum, it is not possible for the mods and admins to make decisions that is acceptable by every single member. As forum members, we have to accept that fact. So I suggest, for views whom you think may not be readily accept in this forum, you should express them freely in your blogs. Then, do continue to contribute in this forum with subject matters that are 100% black and white accepted and welcomed - e.g. factual reports of your Solar observing experiences, solar astrophotos, ....etc.

In this way, I believe you will have the best of both worlds - continuing to inspire forum members here of your dedication, commitment and passion of Solar observation and at the same time, have a platform (blog) to share your other related ideas to Solar activities for those who wish to find out more.

Whatever your final decision, I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Regards,
Gary.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Frankly, solar obs was one of my plans but I am out to work during most of the days and weekends are packed with activities esp for my young family. So that has to be out for me at least till my kids grow up or i retire.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Hi Andeelym,

Don't wait to do that only when you retire or kids grow up. I believe you can always cater a little time on that. [smilie=ahaaah.gif]

But I am just saying base on my own experience lah. Maybe I have been enlightened somehow. Especially on career. I don't prioritize on career anymore. Not so much on the monetary gain. But more on what value can I add to the organization and if I am - happy.

Well enough said. I shall continue to hunt for my new scope and once it is in, will take off again... [smilie=cheer.gif]
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Chia, even though your theories have no scientific support, i still very much enjoyed reading the threads you have posted. My advice to you is ignore the flies that has been flying around your head, and do what you feel like doing. Even if you have to leave the forum (which already has very low active members coming in daily) do what you like in your blog. This is a Singapore Astro Forum, you are free say anyone as long it doesn't breaks the law,religon or race.
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,All
Thanks for all the replies.I am NOT quiting astronomy--my hobby since I was 10;and definitely not quiting SOLAR observing(doing it for over 30 yrs).I LOVE it.However I am in the sciences--physics--and will stick to it unless proven by way of logic;mathematically,or by established physical principle.Example--recently someone establish a link to nasa website about sunspot hybernation--obviously wrong though thats nasa--no big deal;I post against it because from my daily observations and compilation of sunspots occured,that dip is actually due to the end of the third mini-cycle.I am right--the sun's active again.
As for this band thing,in fact I hope other solar observer to response and discuss academically--and we can blast one another with justified calculation of energy release,say;or relationship/orientation of earth magnetic field with the van allen belt.....Just imagine,if we can establish some relationship,and can kind of predict our own flood ;even with a probabilities of success of say 0.8,then we are really achieving something.;and people will benefit and people will look at us differently and to be frank my 30 yrs obing simply make me feel that a relationship exist.However the sort of reponse I get is disappointing.Hence I will pursue it in my own context and thanks again finally.
Gary

Post by Gary »

The following is off-topic in regards to Mr Chia quitting the forum.

@andeelym - I second stargazer suggestion not to wait until the children grow or when you retire. Some celestial events may never repeat again in ours or your children's lifetime - e.g. Venus transit next year. There is no guarantee our eyesight will be as good as now by then.

Astronomy or work/family life is not a zero sum game. During the last punggai trip, Alfred shared with me a tip which you may also find useful - try to carry with you an ultra-portable solar scope wherever you go. Whenever you find the Sun in clear patch, quickly deploy the setup, take a quick look (could be just a minute or two), pack up the scope, and continue with your other tasks.

If that happens and you are with your colleagues or clients in an informal setting (e.g. lunch or afternoon tea break), why not share the views with them?

Or if that happens during an outing with your family, why not share them with your family members? I am sure they will appreciate the views and the bonding session.

During the same punggai trip, we packed all the stuff in our cars and was about to drive back to Singapore when the morning sky clear up for a brief period. Alfred quickly deployed his solar scope
(about 5 mins if I remember correctly) and I was very glad to have my first hydrogen alpha look a the Sun together with another family staying in the chalet.

Let's do the math. Assuming there is only a 5 min clear break in the sky to see the sun per month and you retire in 30 years. You would have already observed the Sun by a significant 30 hours by the time your retire. So do not underestimate the power and fun of grab-n-go observations over a long period of time.

@shirox - Just a comment on the low active members coming in recently. It may be partly due to the week-long holiday - members spending time with family, overseas trip, preparations for children's upcoming exams, mooncake festivals ...etc. Also, the upcoming F1 race should be keeping some of our active members busy. But no worries, no event on earth will outlast the Universe. They will be back sooner or later. :)

In any case, the beauty of public forums like this is that there is no obligations for members to be active, for active members to stay active indefinitely, lurkers to come out of lurking, ...etc. Everyone can take their time to contribute or not contribute to the forum at their own convenience. Everyone can take as long a break from this forum as they please. I took a 7-year break and I am glad this forum is still around when I decided to come back (special thanks to all those who have been donating to support the webhosting of the forum). Not that I am encouraging others to break my record but I am just saying. LOL. :)
Last edited by Gary on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Chia
As everyone has indicated, the Astronomy community is small and really not as many are interested in Solar viewing but that does not mean no one is. There are a lot of silent lurkers here too that read but don't post.

In any case, there is no "quitting" singastro as it is not paid membership based. We are not going to delete your account or anything! :) You can come back anytime you want when have something to share/post. So do drop by whenever you can.

Also, as with all forums, sometimes we get posts that should not have been posted and the mods do intervene when they see it. Just PM us if you see something that is not right.

Meanwhile, thanks for sharing your thoughts and efforts with everyone here.
[smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Chia, frankly speaking it is those who think out of the box that created the like of Albert Einstein. Those who think normally will just be a normal person, nothing more nothing less, and we stay put with these normal thinking.

To discuss or argue over the points is perfectly fine, however, if one get personal, then mod and admin has to step in. Those of us who read the posts know what was happening.

You just continue your hobby and enjoy it, good luck, all the best.