Why tax items bought abroad for personal use? (TodayOnline)

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Gary

Why tax items bought abroad for personal use? (TodayOnline)

Post by Gary »

May be useful to read for those buying astro stuff from Hong Kong.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC11 ... rsonal-use

Why tax items bought abroad for personal use?
Letter from Charlton Wee 04:46 AM Oct 17, 2011

I recently returned to Singapore from a trip to Hong Kong and was stopped to have my baggage checked for any undeclared goods.

My luggage was packed with herbs for my family, and I was questioned about contents that I did not know the worth of, as they were given to me by my relative in Hong Kong.

I had to give an estimate based on my experience of purchasing herbs in Singapore, as I was told I could be taxed.

I found out that all Singaporeans are allowed only up to S$300 worth of non-taxable goods, a rule that no one knew when I asked around later.

I can understand it if we are taxed on goods for commercial use or business purposes, but why are we taxed on goods bought overseas that are solely for personal consumption?
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Re: Why tax items bought abroad for personal use? (TodayOnli

Post by orly_andico »

the same question occurred to me.

actually us non-citizens and non-PRs have no GST relief whatsoever (i.e. no $300 threshold).

the funny thing is, if you SHIP something in, the GST relief is $400, and even us nC/nPR get to avail of this GST relief.

but.. considering that GST is only 7% it's not a bad deal. In the Philippines the tax on goods you hand-carry in even for personal use is 12% VAT + 20% input tax, this is on the landed cost. So 32%.

in Bangladesh it says right at the airport, (equivalent of) $300 flat fee for imported flat-screen TV's.
Tachyon

Re: Why tax items bought abroad for personal use? (TodayOnli

Post by Tachyon »

Actually they have posters all around the baggage claim areas at all three terminals in Changi Airport with details on how much you can bring in based on the length you are overseas before you are taxed.

Just that nobody bothers to read it.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]