Cheapest Shipping to the USA?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Cheapest Shipping to the USA?

Post by cloud_cover »

Does anyone know the cheapest method of shipping a scope to the USA?
I've had a very unfortunate accident and need to ship it back for repairs. Most of the shipping quotes range from $600 - $3400, which is rather ridiculous.
Any help, anyone? Package size will be about 120 x 35 x 35 cm and actual weight is 10kg.
Of course if anyone is heading over to the USA and doesn't mind helping me carry as check in luggage, I won't mind :)
Thanks!
DON'T PANIC
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Cheapest Shipping to the USA?

Post by Airconvent »

The dimensions are such that I doubt you will be able to get it much cheaper unless you go for surface mail but that would be much slower too. Have you thought of dis-assembling your scope and send only the defective part? That could cut the shipping cost but you have to know the charges change according to dimensions so if you exceed the current tier, you are charged the next tier.
Regards

ps I see you're a Douglas Adam fan. I am pretty sure in the last Presidential election, you voted for Zaphod Beeblebrox didn't you? :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
jimmyleong

Re: Cheapest Shipping to the USA?

Post by jimmyleong »

try extremeplace forum, which i used to frequent some time back:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index ... tion=forum

it is a forum on audio enthusiasts and sometimes they purchased equipment from US. i think one chap has a business in freight and delivery and he offered his services to these enthusiasts. not sure if he does the reverse. you need to explore to find more....