Expensive Chrysler Taxi Ride from Changi Airport

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Expensive Chrysler Taxi Ride from Changi Airport

Post by Airconvent »

OT, in the papers recently, some guy named Kochu coming back from Changi Airport took a premium taxi home and had to pay $80+! That was not you, was it? :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

temp

Post by kochu »

Yes Rich.

Kochu
Gary

Re: Rose... from Jurong West

Post by Gary »

kochu wrote:Yes Rich.
Kochu
OT: Hi Kochu. Sorry to read about your cab experience. But I am glad you reported it and the papers carried the story. This reported incident will definitely help to warn others from incurring the same fares unknowingly. The taxi companies and Changi Airport may also improve their SOP/PR because of this incident.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

OT... wow kochu that was you!

I never put that together after reading the article.

I normally travel 2-3 times a month and majority of passengers avoid the black Chryslers like the plague because of the higher flag-down and higher per-distance rate. I only ride them because it's on the company's tab.

Still compared to some other places SG taxi (even the Chrysler) is cheap. Paid UKP100 for a taxi from Heathrow to Reading (that's 200+ SGD) although admittedly that is quite far. Worst was probably the 20 EUR for 3km in Berlin.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Oh that was you Kochu! I had a similar bad experience with the Black Coffin and make it a point to warn others in a taxi queue when these insidious creatures creep up. They need to carry a huge "Extra Fare" sign on their roof.

Great shot!!
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

wow..so I was right. Not many people I know named Kochu. I'm sorry you had such an experience. I don't think its wrong to charge a premium but I think they should at least ask you before directing you to that class of taxi. That way you can decide if you want to pay the premium. Anyway, your story did good because it provided a warning for everyone to be careful in future. Thanks Kochu :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kochu

Post by kochu »

Hi Rich,

Let us go to Cofee Corner..

Kochu
kochu

Chrysler Taxi Ride

Post by kochu »

Hi Rich,

It is true. My name is very rare. So far I have only seen two guys apart from me with this name.

Now coming back to Chrysler, the reason why I sent an e mail to ST Forum was because , neither the Taxi Coordinator nor the driver mentioned to me that this is a Premium Taxi. I was directed to this waiting cab when my turn came up. I was under the impression that only Merc and Large Maxi cabs charge higher fares.

In fact I had concluded my e-mail saying that " This is just to forewarn those who happened to get a Chrysler Taxi", but that part was edited. First the news came on My Point, Then New Paper and then Chinese daily Shin Min followed up and whole lot on Face Book....

Brgds

Kochu/26-1-12
Tachyon

Re: Expensive Chrysler Taxi Ride from Changi Airport

Post by Tachyon »

I travel for business frequently and most times when I catch a taxi at the airport the person who directed me to the taxi would warn me beforehand that there is an extra surcharge if it is a Chrysler cab. Must be the person forgot to mention to you or may be he was not trained properly! I once 'jumped queue' because the few passengers before me passed on the Chrysler cab when told of the surcharges.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]