Nitestik - battery-less luminous device

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Clifford60

Nitestik - battery-less luminous device

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi All,

Last night, Remus, Kelvin, Elton and I happened to discuss about battery-less luminous device so that we can see in the dark during our ob event. Today, I happen come across such a device at an affordable price in the internet. Thinking of a group purchase with the supplier so that we can get a good price. Please show your hand if you are interested. Will let you know the better price once I get in touch with the local supplier.

See some write out and pictures copied from the supplier site.

{The Nitestik Safety Marker is stronger, slicker and cooler than ever. We challenge anyone not to find a use for one!

Using Photoluminescent pigment technology, the Nitestik Safety Marker is highly visible even in total darkness. Designed for marking equipment and personal property, it is useful to anything you might wish to locate in the dark.
Vibrant coloured and acrylic housed the amazing Nitestik uses state-of-the-art technology that is environmentally friendly.

Inside each Nitestik is a rare earth-activated alkali earth aluminate-silicate, that can continuously give off light for over 12 hours in darkness by absorption of various visible light. This new age pigment will charge under light, then discharge in darkness 365 days of the year, for more than 10 years.

No Batteries......Lasts up to 10 years......That's pretty impressive stuff!

This neat little keyring is set to be the next big craze! As well as looking funky and stylish, this 'X'ecutive toy is really practical too - as ly everyone has a use for Nitestik.

Whatever you use them for, they will glow faithfully for up to 10 years and brighten up whatever you attach them to.}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clifford60

Re: Nitestik - battery-less luminous device

Post by Clifford60 »

Clifford60 - 2 Green, 2 Pink and 2 Blue.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Clifford
I did come across this being sold locally but can't remember the location or price but its one of those DIY shops. Is this cheaper? :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Not sure, Kelvin last night said he brought 1 pc for $40 (maybe uses different material, but also 10 yrs life span) from a shop. This guy post as $9.90, bulk purchase should be able to get cheaper. He called and said will give me pricing for different minimum quantity ordered. He said he is the authorized distributor in Sg. He also said to supply to all the shops that carry this product in Sg, so he need to provide some protection to those shops

The product come from Australia. the link is as shown below;

http://www.nitestik.com.au/home.html
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

I'm interested but just to ask how long does it need charging in the light to go.for 12 hours and will anything other than red be too bright for star parties? Currently I'm using red luminant wristbands.
DON'T PANIC
Razsky

Post by Razsky »

I am interested too. Any deadline for the bulk purchase?
650mm, 130mm Vixen R130Sf f/5 Newtonian on Porta
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Hi Clifford, it look similar but I was refering to these, self sustaining radioactive Tritium light sticks, also known as Beta light owing to the mildly radioactive Beta partical emitted by Tritium that triggers the light glow. Doesn't require 'charging' by exposing to light source to maintain it's glow. Tritium has a half life of about 12 years, these light sticks should sustain their glowing for about 10 to 12 years. I find it particularly useful to hang it on the counter weight shaft end.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showth ... y-chain-US
Gary

Post by Gary »

According to only 2 Amazon reviews, one implies it work as advertised the other implies it doesn't.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitestik-MCNETT ... 707&sr=1-3

I don't mind buying 1 green to test it out on behalf of others before we do a mass order. If the supplier can loan us one for testing, that will be great too.

Another thing to take note is green seems to be the brightest among all the colors. So potential buyers should not assume the other coloured versions will glow as brightly.

From this video, it seems to be working fine:
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

I will wait for about 2~3 weeks to compile the list of interest parties and the quantity, will extend if necessary. Will contact him for a test sample as well as ask him the "charging time".
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

hi all~

i am intererested too.. and something to update you all...

http://list.gmarket.com.sg/item/NITESTI ... /405355435

Discounted Price S$8.90

Free shipping over $99 =)

Great deal arr~!

+65 6310 2522
Address : 607 SENJA ROAD
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .