Nitestik - battery-less luminous device

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Clifford60

Re: Nitestik - battery-less luminous device

Post by Clifford60 »

Even it is free shipping, it will cause at least S$11.25 or up to S$12.40 as compare to under S$9.00 if we get it by mass order. It also mentioned that the item is located in Singapore, so I wouldn't be surprise that the seller is the same as the one in GMarket who is the same person we are getting from.

The testing up to now is not as positive as the pictures posted earlier using UV LED torch light. Will try to exposure the device to sunlight tomorrow again, hopefully there is bright sun tmr.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I saw my friend shop selling them sometime ago... I think there are 2 types, one need light to charge it while the other don't need (slight radioactive)... but not sure how much does it cost.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Ok, after a few attempts, here is the conclusion of the Nitestik,

When it absorb light like the earlier pictures with UV LED, it can becomes very bright but lost the brightness fast too. For the test, the device was exposed to about 2 hrs of fluorescence light (40W) about 60cm away.

The photo taken at the start of the test at 1/8 sec f/2.7 ISO400 is still brighter than the one an hour later at 1s f/2.7 ISO 400, more than 4 stops lost maybe up to 6 stops. However, the brightness didn't drop as much in the later hours. 6 hours and 13 hours after start of test at 2s and 4s f/2.7 ISO400. So, the decay is like a capacitor discharge curve, losing 63% for each time cycle.

However, the effect seen in the photos is a lot of different from the actual visual, guess due to our eyes and it is greenish in colour and not like white in the end photos. After 13 hours, although it is dim, the light from it can still cause light reflection from plastic bag surface. Even after about 19 hours, I still can find the device under the dark room condition as it still give very little amount of light.

Anyway, I would like to compare to Tritium device to see the difference before decide which one to buy. So wait for the next chapter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Next 2 photos.

Hopefully, the test sample is not a lemon that give a wrong result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do the testing and report.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks to Clifford for loaning me his nitestik. Tested it for a few days and this is my conclusion - for the price, bright enough and good enough.

Assuming you are attaching this unit to keychain (or tip of EQ counterweight bar), if the surrounding is bright enough to see the keychain, how bright the Nitestik is does not really matter because you already found the keychain.

If the surrounding is dark enough for you not to see the keychain, then the Nitestik green glow will be obvious enough.

I have not seen the Betalight (Tritium) before so I do not know if it is brighter than Nitestik. The funan shop sells Betalight at $20 $30 $40 for small medium and large size. Assuming the small size is of the same size as this Nitestik, then the Betalight needs to be more than twice as bright to be considered having higher value for money. But the betalight does have an advantage of not needing to "charge" it with light. So the convenience might be worth the price difference if this matters to you.

@Clifford - Please confirm my order of 2 green Nitestik. Thanks.

-- John Dobson.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Gary, Kelvin told me that the $40 betalight will be about the same size as the nitestik and he will lend it to me for comparison. This is my next task, are you free to come along to pay Kelvin a visit, hehe.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

Clifford thanks for the time and effort for the review.
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
Gary

Post by Gary »

Brightness comparison between Betalight and Nitestik over 6 hours. Time lapse photography by Clifford. Thanks to Kelvin for loaning the betalight unit for testing.

-- John Dobson.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

The video contains 392 pictures, 1 picture for 0.5 sec video, so the total time for the event is 6 hrs 32 mins and 1 min of video is equal to 2 hrs for the event. The picture setting is f/2, 1sec and ISO400 (50mm lens) and pictures are taken in an interval of 1 min.

Personally, I think Nitestik is still a good value for money deal, at most bring a UV torch light and charge it for 10~20sec for use of easily 3~4 hrs, very energy efficient and non-radioactive. Also, Nitestik against Beta Light is $9 vs $40.

Ok, from now till end of next week, those who are interested after watching the video, please indicates the colour and quantity you like to purchase. At the end of next week, I will consolidate the number and approach the supplier.