Decision to continue having astronomy as hobby?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Gary

Re: Decision to continue having astronomy as hobby?

Post by Gary »

JJLoke wrote:Nope it is not about the misconception. It more about the safe keeping, handling and potential cost to them, which most of them do not want responsibilities or obligations from it.
A decent quality handheld binocular costing $100+ and a small Toyogo plastic container with dehumidifier for safe keeping doesn't sound too exorbitant to me. Most people may have spent more money upgrading their phones year after year.

$100 can also buy a used 80mm achromatic refractor telescope.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
JJLoke

Post by JJLoke »

Haha exactly! Perhaps they do not see it as a necessity. If the urge for observation arises, use someone else scope!
Gary

Post by Gary »

JJLoke wrote:If the urge for observation arises, use someone else scope!
LOL. Actually this can be very sound advice for some newcomers thinking of buying a scope. Instead of rushing to buy a telescope in a hurry just to realise they actually prefer looking/photographing at other types of objects in another different telescope design and setup.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Enterprise

Post by Enterprise »

id keep the bino as it is a very versatile observation tool (even for non astro purposes!) Scopes will always get cheaper and you will be able to afford (assuming you a job and work eventually) so just be yourself and pursue what interests you the most but dont forget you always have the skies waiting for you when you one day get burnt out from other pursuits, all the best!
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Astronomy is not something you need lots of dollars to enjoy. Even without a telescope astronomy are everywhere the moment you look up at the sky.
Its not like smoking where you can quit,
Its not like a navy seal course that you can quit as well.

So don't give yourself pressure to buy a scope or compare what other has and what you don't have.

Learn to enjoy every single little things about astronomy. :)
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

what elton say is pretty true =) dun stress out~!
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi JJLoke,

I can fully understand where you are coming from. Despite NS taking up most of your time, but ironically, it is NS that allows you to have access to dark skies, which more than often; is a great visual spectacle. I will nv forget SWBTA in Australia in which the skies are literally covered with stars and the meteors were flying all randomly in all directions throughout the night. And seeing milky way in the Lim Chu Kang area. So you need not have a scope, but you can appreciate these small little wonders that come about with all the suffering in trainning, and spur you on in this hobby.

As for friends in astronomy, why not invite your friends into singastro forum? Or get to know more local astronomers? A star-gazing session need not be one that is loaded hardcore observing or discussing things with advanced technical jargons. It can be kept simple by interacting with others, especially the members of the public who are usually keen to know more.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Hi Junjie,

I'll give my 2cents after reading your post carefully. I'll make certain assumptions of the causes of your dilemma but I might be completely wrong.

I too was from your club and seen enthu members come and go. Equipment deteriorated gradually over time (gave them advice too to send for maintenance. Not sure if anyone heeded.) Sometimes the club becomes active again, some years a little less. I believe it largely depends on whether there's an enthu member or teacher/lecturer-in-charge at that time who'll initiate activities and in the process get others interested. After they graduate, the club becomes quiet. It happens to other clubs too and that's entirely normal for any group of young ppl who have rapidly changing priorities at the prime of their life. So don't feel disapppointed if you ever find yourself alone. And that includes photography too!

A colleague mentioned he has not used his DSLR in a month and felt guilty not maximising its usage. But i believe we should pursue hobbies at a pace we're comfortable with. That's what hobbies are for right? To relax and enrich ourselves. Not stressed over how and when to pursue. Clear skies tonight? Go setup scope and observe. Don't feel like it? Then do it another day. Nothing to feel guilty over.
Another colleague appreciates beautiful photographs and wishes to take them herself but doesn't want to start because "if i can't create it as perfectly as those pros, i might as well don't start on it." If the equipment you have currently can't take beautiful shots like those pros, it doesn't mean you should stop the hobby entirely. Just because an Orion 80ED can't produce pin-point stars at the edge like an FSQ85 doesn't mean it's not worth taking pictures with it. Comparing our results with others often makes us dissatisifed.

Most of us will have lull periods in hobbies. I'm impressed with your DIY stuffs early in your hobby so i believe your fascination with astronomy is more than a superficial level. Like what Richard said, it's like cycling, once you have it, u have it for life!
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

There are always lull periods in hobbies, but considering your level of experience and interest in astronomy, you are very likely to come back again!

And once you start working and receiving paycheck, most likely your dilema in terms of buying scopes would be non-existent! Many of our members here have multiple scopes.

I am still waiting to purchase my 2nd scope (delayed due to some reason). Been more than a year already. But it has never cross my mind to give up owning one. Just look at the enthusiam showed by Gary in his side walks and those photos posted here when they travel up north are enuff to keep me motivated! :mryellow: