Cheat using Internet Classified Ads

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Cheat using Internet Classified Ads

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Heard about some people using the internet classified ads to cheat people, but wonder if it can really happen(I never buy thing via the internet yet):

They sold those normally high price products at very low price in internet classified ads and said that they will send you the product first before you pay. So happily you recieve the goods and then you pay them. How they cheat?? They basically buy the products using a false credit card and ask the company to sent to you directly. Then when the company discover the credit card are invalid, they will come after you and get you into trouble.

Anyone had any comments on this especially those who always buy things via classified ads??
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Q
Administrator

Post by Q »

wun the company check the validity of the credit cards first b4 they sell their product?
addy

Post by addy »

There are some others, who advertise on famous auction sites selling specific used items and ask you for payments.. once you make the payment, either you dont get the stuff at all or you get a complete scrap.. I have never been in such a situation.. but a number of such cases were in news happening specially on eBay... Suggestions from seasoned internet buyers are that you should ask for Paypal or escrow account particularly using eBay.. eBay has since then put up several monitoring checks in place.. but these still happen due to ignorance of the buyers..
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Lol. I still keep my principle, never buy from the internet, especially if they require your credit card number. I prefer face-to-face :P