Shopping done overseas may be subject to GST

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Buying astro gear from overseas and bringing back to Singapore? Read this:

Declare goods purchased abroad for GST payment: Singapore Customs
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 23/1/.html

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... t-20121121
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Re: Shopping done overseas may be subject to GST

Post by orly_andico »

Any items bought overseas must be declared and if value is over $400 is subject to GST. Comgateway automatically adds GST to the fee that we pay..

I believe FedEx would too if shipped directly to SG. I know I paid GST to Singpost when I bought my CCD from HK and refractor from Taiwan..
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Yes pay my fair share of GST, especially those big ticket items. :mrgreen:
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

unless u hand carry back. if not will sure kana GST. UPS have a rule, pay GST on the spot to the delivery guy, if not they will not unload the goods.
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

based on the articles, the GST is levied if the article is "new"
All goods brought into Singapore such as new articles, souvenirs, gifts or food items meant for the traveller's own use or consumption are subject to 7 per cent GST.
So a used article should not attract GST.

can anyone confirm this? I buy lots of used stuff, and some of it is quite valuable, hence must be insured. So Comgateway whacks the GST on it and I have no choice but to pay. I don't mind paying taxes (heaven knows taxes here are quite low) but if I am actually entitled to not pay taxes on used goods, definitely I would want to save money while complying with the law...
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Never mind.. did a bit of digging. Used goods are subject to GST unless you are moving to Singapore, have stayed < 6 months in Singapore, and have owned the used goods for > 3 months.

Specifically (from Customs web site)
Clearing parcels containing non-dutiable and non-controlled goods of above $400 in value

Parcels containing non-dutiable and non-controlled goods above $400 in value are subject to payment of GST. ICA requires the invoices or confirmation slips (with values of goods stated), printed from the website of the Internet Portal upon confirmation of transactions, to compute the GST payable on the parcels.

If the parcel is imported with an invoice attached, SP will deliver the parcel to the addressee and collect the GST upon delivery.

If the parcel is imported without any invoice attached to it at the time of arrival, the addressee upon notification by SP could fax the supplier’s invoice or confirmation slip from the Internet Portal (with values of goods stated) to ICA at SPC for computation of GST. The addressee may call SPC to collect the parcels or appoint SP to act on his/her behalf for delivery of the parcel and payment of GST. A service fee is payable to SP for the service rendered.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

I think the article was reporting on ICA targeting goods purchased by travellers returning from overseas, not online purchases. Online purchases are all subjected to GST if the declared value PLUS freight costs exceeds $400 (dun understand why they must include shipping cost).

Also, no difference in new or second hand items. As long as exceed, pay (and pay). I had to specially go down to the ICA branch at Singpost centre just to pay GST and collect my C9.25. So p*ssed having to arrange for transport of the scope home. [smilie=bsod.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
James Ling

Post by James Ling »

Yes.... 2 weeks time, my turn to pay a big one for my new 152..........................................
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

So, if you buy an AP mount in the US, use it a few times while there, then its used. Not new. You can then bring it in as luggage. That seems to be the upshot.

If you buy a camera in Low Yat (cheaper than here) in theory you must pay GST on entry. But if you go to Cameron or Penang and fire off 1000 shots, its no longer new.

The folks at the airport basically must make a value judgement as to whether something is dutiable or not...
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

Your interpretation is wrong.

The used part is for items that you bought, but had to send back to repairs/servicing. You would need to prove that GST has already been previously paid in SG.

~MooEy~