Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Barry

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Post by Barry »

What I love about this build is that I am learning so many skills outside of what I already know. I'm about to learn a whole lot about amps, volts, ohms and all that stuff. The electronics to go in this suit even have some programming and circuit-boards for command and control to be installed and configured for tasks. I have no idea yet but I guess I'll be learning.

I made a start with lighting today. It's all about improvisation, adaptation and overcoming.

1. Working out the lining for the faceplate. Still some metal edges to shape neat and straight before glueing it in.

2. Set up for a day on the kitchen bench in air-conditioned comfort.

3. Found the most awesome and excellent solid strip lighting that once removed from the housing, is the perfect size for the eyes of the Iron Man face-plate. MEGA bright!

4. LED strip-lighting to go on the inside rim of the Arc reactor. The new soldering station my lovely wife got me for Christmas is an instant hit! The old Bunnings soldering iron was more like a low-heat wood-burning tool, more frustrating than trying to pick a hair off a flea with a boxing glove.

5. I have a power pack of ten 1.5V AA batteries to power the short strip of 12v LEDs.
Although the strip lighting has resistors in between each set of 3 LEDs.
I ran it for a few seconds and found it getting warm. After a couple of minutes it was getting hot.

My stupid memory was jogged by a good man that the current was too much, here's how I fixed it.

AA recharegeable batteries are 1.2 volt each. Off-the shelf batteries are 1.5 Volt, so ten of them gives me too much at 15 volts. (Only need 12 volts.) I've soldered in an extra wire that effectively cuts out two batteries when I am using the higher voltage ones. When I use recharegeables I just use the black wire instead of the grey one to hook up the negative.
I've had it running for ten minutes now and while it is still warm to the touch, it's not hot anymore.

6. Now I've finally got the lighting sorted out in the arc reactor with a big improvement. The cabinet light in the bottom looked great, but even with the laboratory-grade reflective tape lining the inside, the outer opaque ring was not catching the light and illuminating enough. With the LED strip light installed just inside the top, problem solved and looks awesome.

Kitchen lights were on for this photo and is unedited.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Had fun today pulling apart some lovely little bright LED torches and resoldering longer wires on the COB to get the illuminated strip out of the main body.

Now I have two strips just the right size for the eyes and two neat little battery tubes to install in the suit for easy battery changes.

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Cool, Barry! :)
One more eye to go! ...lol..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Barry

Post by Barry »

Ta mate. ;)

This is the line that the edges need cutting back to. Just wide enough to house the lining, allowing a millimetre of lining to sit proud of the edge.

Barry

Post by Barry »

All the edges ground down.

And a bit of a polish for motivation's sake.

Barry

Post by Barry »

1. Each time I'm asked if I'm going to make it fly.... :P

2. Fitting out the soft lining

3. I'm playing around with an alternative to just leaving slots above the eyes. In order to COMPLETELY fill the eyes with illumination, I must find another way to bring the outside view in. I thought of using a couple of old phone LCD screens with the phone camera lenses poking out of some convenient spots, but the problem is focusing on screens so close to your eyes. I fear it would probably do damage fairly quickly.

So, I thought perhaps playing around with mirrors to periscope it up from the gap in the mouth.

First, I practiced on some ordinary glass. (Top of image.)

4. Next, I cut some small mirrors.

5 & 6. I glued them onto some rods so I could adjust the angles inside.

I had to get someone else to wear it so I could photograph the eye through the mouth.

So, it works. I can see unimpeded in front of me clear as a bell. All I have to do now is refine it.
Barry

Post by Barry »

This evening's work.

1. Making the hinges for the helmet face plate.Aluminium struts with steel pivots to weld inside the helmet.

2. Hinge pivot gets welded into the end of the slot so the strut can swing up out of the helmet. Other end gets welded into the inside of the faceplate.

3. Hinges and struts welded in.

4. View showing the inside where the top hinge swing-arms (struts) are welded in.

5. Top two swing-arms done. Two to do on the bottom - offset parallelogram style.

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

The head piece looks heavy, Barry! :)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Airconvent wrote:The head piece looks heavy, Barry! :)
1552 grams. (1.552kg)

My motorbike helmet weighs 1717 grams. (1.717kg)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Cool....then it should be ok for you... :)