Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Barry

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Post by Barry »

I started working on the headlight reflector today to go behind the front face of the arc reactor. There looks to be a 50/50 chance I might like it or throw it away.

Gave the collar plates another application of filler, sanded than painted. I think I'll keep going until they are smoother, but they are looking ok so far. Getting it made is easy. Getting it perfect.... well that's another story. It's harder than you might think.

I've been having trouble articulating the elbow joint. It has broken already in two places. Fibreglass is hard, but also brittle. Now I've fabricated some reinforcing aluminium bar to join the upper and lower arm. It's a lot of fiddling about.

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

The arc reactor looks nice. Don't throw it away! Could blow up the rubbish bin! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Barry

Post by Barry »

It's been a while since I've had any time to work on the suit, but today I had a little time to put all I've done so far together on the tape dummy to see how it all sits.

I have some major adjustments to do on the waist/cod piece. I'm thinking of cutting the rigid sides off the waist/abs and replacing them with roam rubber. For the cod, all I need to do is cut and extend it slightly to give it a bit more diameter around the hips until the hip-pods are vertical.

At least it's still in the paper stage so that's not difficult.

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hey Barry
You can finally "see" the end product so I guess you must be pretty excited and the pace picks up with your enthusiasm! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Barry

Post by Barry »

I got nearly a whole day to myself today and with no observatory to build anymore, it was off to the workshop with me!!!

One of the problems I've had with the suit is in the scaling and fitting. The suit is not anatomically correct for a human being, so even if you get the right height and width, some parts just narrow down far too much.

The waist is as such.

The rigid sides that go from lumbar armour around to abdominal armour have been sitting very uncomfortably over my hips and are about 2 inches in diameter too small so it's very tight.

To solve this, I cut the rigid sides off and replaced them with foam rubber mat.

Once I got that done I did a quick test fit. Now that's done I can move onto the cod piece and widen that around the waist too.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Lots of concurrent bits to do while waiting for the filler to set on other parts.

The internal chest/back brace only needs filling and sanding where it shows so I'm not wasting any more bog where it doesn't need it. I will, however, put another layer of fibreglass matt on the inside to make it as rigid as I can.
Where I have used foam around the waist, today I used a wood-burning soldering iron to melt in the joints between the rib plates. I placed a big elastic band around the whole piece to see if I can pre-shape it a bit before I put some heat into it later.
Getting some more sanding and detailing done on the chest/back. The back is very detailed and has a lot of raised and sunken sections to negotiate with body-filler and the sanding block.
Finally got onto a finishing sand of the abdominal plates so I could give it a paint. The ankle and achilles control surfaces are also on the painting block.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Got into some serious finishing today. I bought a can of paint that had a GOLD lid, but the colour label said ORANGE. I asked the paint salesman which was correct and he said the colour of the lid was correct.

Looks like he was wrong.

Last edited by Barry on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

the colour of the lid IS correct, the colour of then content is wrong.. guess he just wanted the commission that badly..
Born to be Free
Barry

Post by Barry »

FINALLY!! I found a gold paint that satisfies!

bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

wow! beautiful finishing.. cant wait to see u in the final suit!
Born to be Free