Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Barry

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Post by Barry »

Left thigh work in progress.

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Barry
I take it at the end you will apply an epoxy coating to smoothen out the angled surfaces just like in the movie ? That would make your suit even heavier? I think Robert Downey Junior only contended with light molded plastics for his costume, so I guess you are stronger than him :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Barry
Check out this Chinese company that makes a working helmet for sale. Their process is complicated and involved so many people!
But I guess one suit made from love is never the same as one mass produced :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAOBnDWN8Y4
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Barry

Post by Barry »

Airconvent wrote:Hi Barry
I take it at the end you will apply an epoxy coating to smoothen out the angled surfaces just like in the movie ? That would make your suit even heavier? I think Robert Downey Junior only contended with light molded plastics for his costume, so I guess you are stronger than him :)
Yes mate, I've explained in detail how I am doing that with resin, fibreglass mat and car-body-filler.

Perhaps when I am finished this suit I will look into other ways to produce one like casting or working metal.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Left thigh assembled. This one was a little more difficult than I expected. For such a large piece it is made of an incredible amount of small parts. Very fiddly cutting and folding on this one.

This is the first part I've made that came with braces to go inside it for shaping. This way I can harden it then cut the braces out and it will retain the correct shape.

I tried it on my leg and it fits perfectly, even allowing for thick and loose tracksuit pants, later to be replaced by bicycle long-johns and the padding inside the armour.

Barry

Post by Barry »

I just laid the cod on the floor with the thigh under it and hip-pod attached to check for scale. Looks ok so far.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Shin assembled.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Checking for fit. By the time I get the inside fibreglassed and padded, then the undersuit - there won't be much room left in there. Should be a snug fit.

Barry

Post by Barry »

I spent a few hours immersed in toxic organic fumes today in the shed, while sleet and snow outside kept the resin temperatures low.

I painted the inside and outside of thigh and shin with resin, then bit at a time - poured in the slush-cast.

One thing I would do in future, is tape the knee joint together before doing anything. I was lucky that the slush-cast was still a bit pliable so I could bend and squeeze the knee together then tape them in place while it sets properly. Before I line the inside with fibreglass matt, I will do the same again.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Now the inside is slush-cast and the knee is taped tight into position, today I started laying in the fibreglass mat. Thigh and ankle flaps done.

I also found a broken headlight and thought the reflector inside would be great in the chest behind the arc-reactor LED's. I'll trim it to shape and see how it looks.