Burnham's Celestial handbooks......tribute to the man

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
VinSnr
Administrator

Burnham's Celestial handbooks......tribute to the man

Post by VinSnr »

Hi all,

I know there is a lot of newbies here. And I am sure many have heard of the famous Burnham's Celestial handbooks. Comes in 3 volumes...you may still find some at Borders.

What happened to the author? I hope many would pay tribute to the author by reading this:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issues/1 ... index.html
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

That came to a shock to me. I fondly remember the nights i spent in my astronomy clubhouse totally engrossed in his books, and finished all 3 volumes in 4 months. His works are one of the kind and certainly one of my favourites. It's just plain saddening to see such a talent to go down like this. I would recommend the books to everyone here, newbies or oldhats, get the books at Kino or Borders. It will be THE astronomical version of LOTR, totally out-of-this world. Though many books like Hitchhiker's Guide sought to adopt Burnham's method of introducing Astronomy to the masses, none came near. I hope Singapore's astronomers would follow Burnham's spirit of Astronomy, ever-enthuistic, ever-devoted.

Charlie
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

Charlie
I hope Singapore's astronomers would follow Burnham's spirit of Astronomy, ever-enthuistic, ever-devoted.
Hey hey we're are devoted no doubt. Our library isnt. :( Well it seems an interesting book. What does he discuss in the book? Loads of information about?
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

He basically talks about objects that are found in each constellation, with descriptions and statements to each object. Reading through his books, one journeys through time and space. It gives a more humane touch to astronomy as the oldest branch of science around. It's like an 3-part adventure book to all astronomers. I'll say get it!

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Grievous wrote:He basically talks about objects that are found in each constellation, with descriptions and statements to each object. Reading through his books, one journeys through time and space. It gives a more humane touch to astronomy as the oldest branch of science around. It's like an 3-part adventure book to all astronomers. I'll say get it!

Charlie
The only book that is closest to Burnham in the market now is the Night sky Observing guide. Comes in 2 volumes. I have both Burnham and the Night sky one. I would say Burnham had written it with a more humane touch...it's like he is writing his observation notes. The night sky one is written more for commercial purposes. Both are good.....just that Burnham's book is a classic.