Are we alone in the Universe?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

ChaosKnight wrote:Frankly I think it may be best if we stay hidden from aliens. Imagine what they will think of us if they pick up signals of Wrestlemania or No Mercy coming from our planet.
Ditto. Watch -

Independence Day
Signs
War of the Worlds
Dark City
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

chris shaw wrote:Yes - agree so we have 13 great movies about ET

1) Contact
2) 2001: A Space Odyssey
3) 2010: The Year We Make Contact
4) Signs
5) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
6) E.T. the Extra Terrestrial
7) Independence Day
8 Alien Trilogy
9) Mission To Mars
10) War of the Worlds
11) Star Trek
12) Dark City
13) Red Planet
Meanwhile, since we're at this topic, how about
14) Babylon 5

Thought it was pretty good while it lasted in Singapore, kinda space epic like thing. On DVDs/VCDs now. And then why not X-files, almost a decade of alien conspiracies and cover-ups.
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

ericgoh wrote::lol:
Let us all seriously concerned people in the world pray that all human in the world should be united (don't we have the U.N.) with no string (power struggle) attached. And all work together to fly out many many many space ship to search for our new living planets or search for our Father as we all know that Earth is getting "sick" recently and hope that it has the naturally medicine to cure herself [Earth is our Mother? or not?] She cured her children [all living things] using her natural medicine.

I want to be happy for what we have now but must also worry for the not so long future (meteorite strike us around 2014). If it hit us, we are all dead! as we cannot steer our Mother Earth anyway we wish.

enjoy the sky tonite.
cheers,
eric goh
Hate to poor cold water, but IMHO, the UN is the farce of a world government, what was meant to be unifying body of all the countries of the world has become a puppet of the powerful. :(

Perhaps we already have 1 state unifying all of us. It may be subliminal, but i think culturally, we're definitely moving towards all things American, not just in Singapore, but even the Chinese are going to Western brands and cultural. This form of cultural conversion(subversion dangerous to use in Singapore) is slow and may not be noticed on the onset, but as a species, we're more or less moving in that direction. The fact that even this forum is run off an idea of Americans (the internet) and that we're using English to communicate on it is yet another example of how the world is becoming one. :shock:
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Don't need to worry about that, china will soon over take them... Also, english is not one of the most common widely use language world wide. I forget which language is the most widely use (I think is Spanish), but mandrin is or will be one of them.

As why we use english in this forums because most of us in singapore use english base OS.... They are a lots of mandarin forums in the internet... may be only your are not aware of... :)

Also, there are a lots of mandarin website and forums on astronomy and the website are incredibly beautiful... I actually thought of join those forums also, but need to find an easy to use chinese input software, so that I can type quick enough.... :P

By the way, most of my astronomy books are in mandarin (I still got some 1989, 1990 mandarin astronomy magazine)... And I found out that mandarin astronomy magazine contain more information on astronomy than english magazine which contain mostly advertisements... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

Yes - agree so we have 14 great movies about ET

1) Contact
2) 2001: A Space Odyssey
3) 2010: The Year We Make Contact
4) Signs
5) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
6) E.T. the Extra Terrestrial
7) Independence Day
8 Alien Trilogy
9) Mission To Mars
10) War of the Worlds
11) Star Trek including derivatives
12) Dark City
13) Red Planet
14) X Files

Babylon 5 is an off shoot of Star Trek see 11)

Chris

Post by Guest »

:( I still ask "are we alone in the Universe" :?: :?:

Some use probability to proof the existence of other living forms but can we? I do not know as I am got dizzle with big & small numbers. Good try.

I off-tracked to 10% & 90% brain power (note: why I come out this? because I "assume" that we are being block permently for 90% all the time). If someone said that we already use 100% brain power, then we can forget about flying further out of our Mother Earth. Note: to fly out and further of our Mother Earth, need lots of breakthru' and much higher tech. than what we have now. I think I must be dreaming to fly out of Mother Earth for longer period to explore the universe to search of other living forms.

Can accomplish in 99.9% in America's Hollywood movies as some have listed (very detailed list I have to add. Thank you).

Still, I am still dreaming and asking "Are we alone in the Universe?"

Another silly question: what kind of great honour and rights does human has to declare they are the sole highly intelligent living form in the huge Universe?

cheers,
eric goh
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Do you know that a lot of scientist come out their idea in dream... why?? I think this is mainly because when they are asleep, a lots of those brain cell that are doing all those "background task" are free up. So they join in the "fun" and help to sort out new idea... :D

By the way, we can actually fly out our solar system base on current technology, but this will be a one way trip...

Anyway, we still need to have several breakthough in Biology, Propulsion and Material inorder for us to make space travel practical. Hope that coming soon.... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

I wait for a reply in the universe and there is none and hence I conclude that we, human beings, are the sole MOST intelligent creature in the universe!

Wow lah! What talk you? Who said there aren't any more creatures in the universe?

I challenged: "Proof to me lah!"

That person replied: "uh uh uh ..."

The above is just to start the ball again. Are we sure there is some creatures out there waiting for us to contact them?

Why no creatures happens to appear to the media people and some VIPs gathering and the earth sure immediate have all go LIVE for all people to view and from there onwards, we then can say that we are the sole MOST intelligent creatures in the universe.

Why U.S. sends out Voyager and other spacecraft up in the space? Because they "believe" that in the huge universe, there bound to have something waiting.

So, anyone saw an real alien and invite him to your house. I don't know.

cheers,
eric goh
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

the problem is, the universe to just to big...
imagine the "Earth" is the whole universe, and Earth are just a speck of dust on "Earth"...
how easy is it to find another speck of dust similar to Earth?
maybe i should have used "Jupiter: instead of "Earth", or maybe the "Sun"...
K.L. Lee
Area503

Alone, us? NO WAY

Post by Area503 »

Well... hehe. sad to see a great topic been reduced to a list of movies....
:cry:
Actually, the harder i think of it, the more convined i am that we can never be alone. Why?

One, We are the proof that there is intelligent life forms out there. If u DARE say we are alone, may i post to you about our origin? May i gain the insights from you how does life come to been? The soup of chemicals which is present on early earth may have form the first 'living' material, virus. Which then mutates into the DNA, then a cell, then multiple cells merge to from an organism (bacteria) and then to what we know today.

Two. Conditions for life. Who say life needs sunlight, water and oxygen? Dive with the world best marine biologists and you would know the definations of conditions for life to exist is wrong. The new conditions is an energy source which an organism can harnest from and internalise it for their own use. Deep sea creatures often do not have oxygen as the oxygen dissolved in water concentrates near the surface and sunlight is alien to them. At that depth, the ocean is very dark and cold and the worms and mussels survive by chemosynthesis. They convert hydrogen sulfide from the vents as an energy source (instead of light) for the synthesis of proteins and carbohydrates.

Three, even if we must have sunlight oxygen, carbon, water, etc etc etc. There must be a planet with an environment justs like earth. For one, earth is one such planet within the millions and millions and millions and millions and millions of planets out there. seriously, logical deduction that there are millions of planets out there which is just like earth, once like earth, or going to be like earth.

Then we consider how does life come into being.
Then we consider that life does not ONLY need sunlight.
Then just like in the movie CONTACT. If we are alone, it a gigantic waste of space.
possiblity of us been alone = 8.90e-999999999999999 (guessing, but u get the idea)

Then similarly, these life froms have intelligent, if we have them, why can't they?
As such, could it be possible that we are actually primitives in the eyes of another? like monkeys compared to us? homo sai.... then again, are we truly, capable of true thinking in the view of another?
Every time i look into the sky, i wonder,
who's eyes am i looking at, staring back at me.
Whose eyes sees a different world, one which i could only imagine.
Whose sky may be blue, red or green, one which his air determines.