Matter and Anti Matter

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
adree

Matter and Anti Matter

Post by adree »

with all the talk about whether is there life out there, has anyone wondered what anti matter is?

In the views of many, they believe that in life, there is an equal to everything. There is an equilibrium in the universe. We are all matter, the sun, the earth, stars etc all made from matter, so what's matter's opposite? anti matter!

okok, so, what is anti matter, where is anti matter? is it the black dark space, that void that fills most of it? or the blackhole that sucks everything and anything into it?

Air your views! love to see what you think about this :D
" Boundaries don't hold us. Don't let them hold you. The only boundary is your imagination. "
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

From what i had read, Anti-matter is the direct opposite of matter - like opposite charges. There are few speculatives of this subject, mainly that the Universe is born of unequal number of matter and anti-matter. The number? For every 1 million anti-quarks, there is 1 million and ONE matter counterpart. And of course, when anti-matter and matter gets together, they annilate each other and Bang! Big burst of energy! So the left over matter atoms just reorganize themselves into the Universe we see today.

What if Anti-Matter gets to have their own space parallel of ours? Then we can have another Anti-Matter Universe, Anti-Earth, Anti-You, Anti-Me. But of course, they will have different scientific laws governing them (and so they have been linked to Dark Matter). We will not be able to interact with them, if we were to go to an Anit-Earth, when we step on it, we could just pass through the whole anti-earth! This is due to the different form of matter, so much so that even the anti-matter electromagnetic force wouldn't be able to hold up to our Matter's mass.

So where can we find some of this anti-matter? One thing i had in mind is: Not in our Universe. If there were to be anti-matter in our Universe, it would interact with the matter counterparts and produce a whole load of high energy rays? We can't find such energy except one place - Black Hole.

So Black hole is the highway to parallel Universes afterall (if you survive the trip in)!

Anyway, for more info, Read either The Universe Next Door by Marcus Chown or Five Ages of the Universe by Fred Adams & Greg Laughlin

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

mmm... from what i have read , when matter and antimatter get together, they actually changed into energy. In addiition, a theory states that anti matter decays at a slightly faster rate than matter. So before the anti matter and matter have a chance to recombine, some of the anti matter decays and therefore, the remaining matter forms our universe.

comments any1 ?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hmm... Currently, scientists can make AntiMatter by colliding protons in particle accelerators at near light speed into targets made of nickel. Now they can store AntiMatter for days, but still haven't found out the ways of transporting AntiMatter.
Also, the cost of creating AntiMatter are too high($80,000 trillion to produce one gram) and too long(one million years to produce one gram) to consider practical to replace rocket fuel. If want to replace rocket fuel, they must found a way to mass produce, storage and transport AntiMatter at a practical cost.... :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

I currently (very slow) reading a fiction start off of the missing anti-matter in a lab in Swiss...

As someone has read from other sources, this anti-matter could be developed into a weapon that could destroy anything on its way. The superpowers in the world are R&D on this. No doubt about it but very very high cost.

all Matter & anti-matter produce some forms of energy and heat (in the process). Correct me if I am wrong.

If anti-matter as the energy could help us fly out the Mother Earth, then we are able to move one great step ahead. But if the superpowers use for weapon, then sorry lah, we all will live in dark Earth.

I don't know what you think but I realised that it is a waste of matter to throw away all the fuel containers when the rocket take off from Earth! Why not design the rocket and spaceship in one that we could reuse like the UFO in eclipse shape? Why must we always design very long rocket to carry the spaceship or space shuttle or space station or space satellite?

We need another breakthru' here. Definitely not me as I am silly to ask these questions. Any aliens out there care to answer? (note: just enjoy our life to observe the beautiful night sky. As we are not scientist to worry too much). But I DO CARE FOR HOW LONG HUMAN COULD LIVE ON PLANET EARTH.

cheers,
eric goh
adree

Post by adree »

Someone should set up a fund to research anti matter! for the good of all mankind, so that within this generation, we could all take a rocket to our favourite galaxies! :P
adree

Post by adree »

I read that book, i think it's the same book. That book got me thinking about anti matter and everything. it's a great story.
" Boundaries don't hold us. Don't let them hold you. The only boundary is your imagination. "
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Ha Ha... We don't need AntiMatter to destory earth... Nuclear will be enough to finish the job... :D

We need a lot of energy just to escape earth gravity, that mean a lot of rocket fuel (current technology), so 90% of a rocket is make up of fuel. Space shuttle is the nearest thing that near to reuseable space ship currently. Scientist are come up a lot of idea on this, some suggest to use a "ladder" that will connect the ground to the orbiting space station, so that, we can just take a "lift" to the space station or send a satellite via that ladder... creative idea, but will it work???? :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

example:
matter: electron (negative charge)
antimatter: positron (a positively charged electron)

positrons are released in the core of stars in nuclear fusion. they will eventually collide with an electron and release radiation with the annihilation of both...

antimatter can be used for medical purposes...
positron emission topography (PET) uses carbon-11(half-life 20min)

carbon-11 is made on-site by bombarding nitrogen atoms with protons in a cyclotron. once made, it is incorporated into a simple molecule such as glucose, which in turn is incorporated into a complex molecule that will seek out a tumour when injected into patient's bloodstream...

carbon-11 will disintegrate by ejecting a positron, which when met with an electron, will result in mutual annihilation, which will release two gamma rays in opposite direction - exactly 180 degrees.

body scanners will detect these rays and highlight the organ from which they are emitted and cancer can be accurately located...
K.L. Lee
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Whoa nice work there kamikazer. I've been interested in this matter-antimatter for years. Lemme share what I've learnt.

There is an antimatter for each type of charged matter in the universe. For an electron, the positron was found. For the proton, there is the anti-proton. I think you get the idea. This anti-thingy extends all the way down to the quantum level, that means for each quark, there is a similar anti-quark, too. (if i'm not wrong there are 6 types of quarks. So there are also 6 types of anti-quarks).

Scientists have actually proven that these anti-matter exists, at least for most of these particles.

How do these things work? Actually, it's the same old einstein again! Remember his famous equation here. E = mc2 so this can calculate how much energy can be released if a matter-antimatter collide. Whatever the mass of the particle you calculate, just substitute it into 'm' and given c=speed of light=3E8 m/s. thus 1g of matter gives you 9E13 Joules of energy! That's 90,000,000,000,000 in numbers. For comparison, P = IV = E/t, so for a 100Watt lamp this energy can light the lamp for 9E11 seconds = 1.5E10 minutes = 250,000,000 hours = 28519 years, rounded off!

Ok take the other way round. For 1g of matter to be created, m = E/c2 so i'll rather not do the maths, you try it out.

The history of antimatter is just as fun. I think it is not correct to say for every million anti-matter there's a million and one matter. Just, for the sake of simplicity, that there is more matter than antimatter. Thus, all antimatter is gone, at least in this universe. For parallel universes I'm not sure though (yah... who can? :lol: ). And to my knowledge, matter-antimatter twins is created every second, every time, it might even be around you. As to how, they are said to be "random occurances". From nowhere energy will form matter-antimatter twins. Then the anti one will disappear again, colliding either with that matter or other matter. Why we don't see them, firstly, they are so small in size. How do you see the formation of an anti-quark?! Secondly, they are very easily destroyed, since there's so much matter here they will meet one in no time and gena become energy again... All this happens in a time measured in 1E-(20++) seconds.

I do hope they can manufacture and store antimatter soon and cheaply, so we can finally be truely the space-faring species. But before that, I wish for world peace, or else we would never live to see us out of the solar system!!!!