Anyone here uses your astro equip to birdwatch too ?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
harlequin2902

Anyone here uses your astro equip to birdwatch too ?

Post by harlequin2902 »

Anyone wants to follow me the next time I visit Botanical Gardens or Sungei Buloh Nature Reserve for casual birdwatching or digiscoping (bird photography thru the scope) ? :D This is a good time to observe all the interesting migratory birds as they stopover our little island country. I'm still no seasoned birdwatcher at the moment, but while I'm trying to fully utilize all my equipment that are always sadly sitting around the dry cab in the evenings due to all these clouds (rainy season), I'm slowly learning.

I'll be at Botanical Gardens this Thursday/Sunday.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

harlequin2902 wrote:Anyone wants to follow me the next time I visit Botanical Gardens or Sungei Buloh Nature Reserve for casual birdwatching or digiscoping (bird photography thru the scope) ? :D This is a good time to observe all the interesting migratory birds as they stopover our little island country. I'm still no seasoned birdwatcher at the moment, but while I'm trying to fully utilize all my equipment that are always sadly sitting around the dry cab in the evenings due to all these clouds (rainy season), I'm slowly learning.

I'll be at Botanical Gardens this Thursday/Sunday.
Botanical gardens?? better watch out for Banglas and Filipinos...they love to romance under the trees there. If you point your scope in their direction, you could be in trouble....
addy

Post by addy »

:D.. then Sam would be using his astro equipment for making a romance movie...
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

My camera when loaded with a fresh 128mb CF card can take 900s worth of video clips (with sound !). Enough ? :lol:
Samuel Ng
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

harlequin2902 wrote:My camera when loaded with a fresh 128mb CF card can take 900s worth of video clips (with sound !). Enough ? :lol:
depends...if they are doing some very "heavy romancing", it may not be enough
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

LoL~~ how come talking about bird watching become making p movie?? hahaha :lol: :lol:
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Two of my practice shots thru my scope :

White-throated Kingfisher

Stork-Billed Kingfisher

Still not quite *there* yet huh :oops: :oops: :oops:
Samuel Ng
addy

Post by addy »

Nice pictures Samuel... Did you did some touch ups to these pictures.. Specially the first one shows a bit of extra color along the finges of the feathers.. dont know technical term for describing this effect.. Did you use your pronto to take these pictures..
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi,

Ah, that's the reason why serious imagers prefer APO class scopes / lenses you see. This Kingfisher was perched on a branch out in the sunlight, and you can see some colour fringing along the feathers. Look at the branches carefully. You will see a wee bit of purple as well.

Yup, I usually use both the Pronto and Megrez to take these pictures.
Still can't really get the images to appear razor sharp though (look at the feathers of the bird in the second pic - either the camera's focus wasn't sensitive enough or the fine details couldn't be resolved cleanly by the lens), and I'm thinking the fault partly lies in the camera because I've seen much better pics taken with the same scopes but with better cameras.

I'm currently using a consumer class Canon A70...and I didn't really have digiscoping in mind when I bought it :?
Samuel Ng
addy

Post by addy »

You are right Samuel.. Problem with consumer class digicams is that whatever scope (APO, ED) etc you use, there is still a consumer class lens that is built in the camera which wont give you those razor sharp colors and contrast.. Try getting a Digital SLR and attach your pronto directly to it using a T adapter, you will see the difference.. If you look around for a used D30, you can get it below 1K (which is a damn good price for a DSLR)..