Tiny stuff in fish tank

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Tiny stuff in fish tank

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
I started this fish tank for about 3 weeks now and just now, had transferred my fishes out so I can wash the tank when to my surprise I found many many tiny organisms swimming around. they zig zag around and were very tiny...like brine shrimp. anyone knows that they are and should I get rid of them or are they baby fishes? I have guppies and neon tetras in the tank...
thanks in advance
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

Baby guppies are about 1cm and look quite baby fish an don't normally zig zag around. BTW, do you have female guppies; those larger one with dull color & heavy baby.

Might be some baby of pond organisms or related to daphnia types. Most of the time they don't cause concern and might be a good source of food for the larger fish. A photo will help alot.

Any why do you need to transfer out the fish for cleaning as it will stress them more (unless it is a nano tank)
RyoNpepper

Re: Tiny stuff in fish tank

Post by RyoNpepper »

Airconvent wrote:Hi
I started this fish tank for about 3 weeks now and just now, had transferred my fishes out so I can wash the tank when to my surprise I found many many tiny organisms swimming around. they zig zag around and were very tiny...like brine shrimp. anyone knows that they are and should I get rid of them or are they baby fishes? I have guppies and neon tetras in the tank...
thanks in advance
Hi Rich,

Are those thingy mosquito larvae? Sounds like one leh....doing the zig zag motion.

:shock:
zhili

Post by zhili »

Hi i hope i don't sound crude but that sounds very much like shit in the fish tank. My dad always use a plastic sucker to suck out the "tiny organisms swimming around". Initially i thought they were worms, but my dad gave me the evil grin n said " it's shit". in this case, u have to remove them cos u won't want ur fishes to swim in a shit-infested tank.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hi i hope i don't sound crude but that sounds very much like shit in the fish tank. My dad always use a plastic sucker to suck out the "tiny organisms swimming around". Initially i thought they were worms, but my dad gave me the evil grin n said " it's shit". in this case, u have to remove them cos u won't want ur fishes to swim in a shit-infested tank.
Ha Ha Ha... I got a lot of these "shit" in my home fish tank... The tank had not been clean since... I can't remember, but at least 9 months... :P :P

Anyway, I don't think it is shit and fish don't swim in zig zag... even it is newborn fish. I think might be those small worms (if you feed your fish with it) that manage to survive or even mosquito larvae as RyoNpepper suggest.

Have a nice day.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

Hi.... I don't think it is mosquito larvae as the guppies would probably eat them... haha. probably some worms.
Jingguo

Post by Jingguo »

eh hi guys. rearing fish used to be my pri-n sec sch past time. anyway from richard's description, i think it might be some water organism that came along with your fishes. check water temp. anyway i use to rear goldfishes, disus, anglefish, tiger bark, guppies, tera, swordtail, siamese fighting fish. goldfish n disus r d most diffcult to rear. guppies, tera n swordtail r d easiest. my swordtail even give birth. but not many survive. coz their parents uncle n aunties r heartless creature!.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

ok...the live dots have all disappeared. when I switched on the light tonight, I was shocked to see hundreds of wriggling lines in the tank! the fishes were going into a frenzy. after about 10 min, most of the wriggling stuff have disappeared. either they have been sucked into the filter or eaten by the fishes.
I suspect they were eaten as probably the fish can't see them in the dark but when I swtitched on the light, they saw them and started eating them up.
should I buy some sort of parasite solution to add to the tank or simply leave it alone as the fishes seem to eat them?
a colleague talked about getting the fishes out and pouring hot water into the tank and sand to kill the parasites but some will definitely be scooped up with the fishes...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
river

Post by river »

I will let them be the fresh food for the fish label as "this week special".

What type of filter you use? If your filter use those common white fiber sheet, replace them. Old filter sheet might be their breading bed. Do you have any live plant in the tank?
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Disappeared? Dun count on it. Just use a stick and rake up the gravel. You will see them reappear again!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]