Cloudy Saturday Nights

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
kayheem

Cloudy Saturday Nights

Post by kayheem »

Hi all,

I was just having a short email exchange with Airconvent when he brought up the question:

"When can we get a clear Saturday night?"

My answer was when:

- it falls on a full moon
- you need to attend a wedding dinner
- your auto-everything, electrical-only scope conks out

Can anyone else offer Airconvent any other answers? Do chip in! :D

Kay Heem
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

- When you dragged yourself to that perfect site after a few drinks, and forgot to bring your mounting screws.
...You puke into your accessory tray after you tie your OTA to the mount with nylon as a quickfix.
...The nylon snaps and you manage to save the OTA, but that Pentax XL got a permament mark on its barrel from falling on your foot..
...Then you give up and fell asleep in your car, wasting a good night away......
....Till your spouse calls and nags you home...
....Then you spend your Sunday with a hangover, crying over a XL, cleaning the up the tray and finding those lost screws...

Charlie
....but of course, you did put those mounting screws into your pocket while setting up, remember?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Cloudy Saturday Nights

Post by Airconvent »

kayheem wrote:Hi all,

I was just having a short email exchange with Airconvent when he brought up the question:

"When can we get a clear Saturday night?"

My answer was when:

- it falls on a full moon
- you need to attend a wedding dinner
- your auto-everything, electrical-only scope conks out

Can anyone else offer Airconvent any other answers? Do chip in! :D

Kay Heem
hah hah kay heem...you really DID post it here... :lol:
anyway, when I first started this hobby, I brought my ETX90 to the office everyday, transporting it from my car to the office and back each day.it was during the time when all mercury, mars, venus, jupiter and saturn can be seen at the same area of the sky. one day I decided not to bring the scope and what do you know..when I left the office, it was CRYSTAL CLEAR sky and ALL the 5 planets can be seen clearly! by the time I reached home, mars , venus and mercury were too low on the horizon to be seen!....sigh...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kayheem

Re: Cloudy Saturday Nights

Post by kayheem »

Airconvent wrote:
hah hah kay heem...you really DID post it here... :lol:
anyway, when I first started this hobby, I brought my ETX90 to the office everyday, transporting it from my car to the office and back each day.it was during the time when all mercury, mars, venus, jupiter and saturn can be seen at the same area of the sky. one day I decided not to bring the scope and what do you know..when I left the office, it was CRYSTAL CLEAR sky and ALL the 5 planets can be seen clearly! by the time I reached home, mars , venus and mercury were too low on the horizon to be seen!....sigh...
Reminds me of the time when I was still staying at Casafina. When I saw a clear sky, I lugged my scope, EQ5 mount and all the astrophoto equipment up to the roof-top tennis court. I then started to setup everything and was doing the drift alignment when noticed the star I was tracking go dimmer and dimmer until it disappeared. I looked up and it was cloudy all over. I waited for half an hour before I gave up and went down again. :cry: