How do u upkeep Astronomy as your hobby?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Jingguo

How do u upkeep Astronomy as your hobby?

Post by Jingguo »

just like to know how you guys upkeep astronomy as your hobby considering that we got work and study need to attend to. how do u guys find time and money for astronomy.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

make it a "passion" instead just a hobby...
astro is still much cheaper than golf or car racing...
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: How do u upkeep Astronomy as your hobby?

Post by VinSnr »

Jingguo wrote:just like to know how you guys upkeep astronomy as your hobby considering that we got work and study need to attend to. how do u guys find time and money for astronomy.
I suggest that if you are young and need to earn money yourself (meaning no rich dad or mum to provide you money) do have a plan on how you manage your money first.

Astro is a hobby, but it can't feed you. You need to take care on feeding yourself first by saving and investing so that your money will grow and take care of you when you are old and no income. No point spending ridiculously on astro and then you find yourself can't retire comfortably. And don't forget you may have a family next time to feed also.

Have a proper saving and investment plan first (including insurance please, but never into ILP. A term plan would do just fine) and then give yourself a treat like say 5-10% of that into Astro. I would think anything more than 10% of your net worth into Astro would be excessive, but I guess many would disagree.
rlow

Post by rlow »

So far, this formula works for me:

1. If you got not much money to get a scope, just get a good pair of bino and hunt out the 70 brighter Messier Objects etc. I did that for 10 years before I got my first scope after NS about 2 decades ago.

2. Utilise a simple grab-and-go scope & altazimuth mount setup packed and ready. Anytime the nightsky is clear, I am up and observing outside in 5 minutes.

3. Go to Mersing once a month for a night of deep-sky nirvana. :) One clear night at Mersing is more worthwhile and more fruitful than 100 clear nights in Singapore!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
how do u guys find time and money for astronomy.
What do you do at night... watch tv program, play computer game and sleep?? Unless you work during the night time, I think they are plenty of time for astronomy.

Astronomy an expensive hobby??? I think the answer is depends... it's can be very expensive if you keep changing and upgrade equipments... Any hobby will be expensive if you do that. :P :P You can just get a set of equipment and that may last you a lifetime. Look at rlow, a binocular for 10 years!!!
3. Go to Mersing once a month for a night of deep-sky nirvana. Smile One clear night at Mersing is more worthwhile and more fruitful than 100 clear nights in Singapore!
Hmm... But you still need the 100 clear night in Singapore... to do rehearsal ma... so that you won't "ka lang ka po" in Mersing... ha ha ha :P :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

actually astronomy is one of the best hobby for time management since you do it late at night and does not need to fight for access time! I mean what kind of appointment can you have at 1am in the morning?? :wink:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
azri

Post by azri »

Financial management and time management of course...

Guess that's why I haven't owned anything bigger than a 5 inch scope... bad financial management heheh... :P

Saving up for my next scope... real soon now. I'm surviving by window shopping on the net :)

We all need a pay raise for our hobby!
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

If you compare astronomy to other hobbies like photography, audio listening, computer gaming... it can be quite comparable. But I think I should not be the one telling how to save since I am guilty of over spending... so now I am starting to save money and try to look after my equipment for years on.

I have different opinions on life. Some people may feel that we have to start saving now for the future. How long do we know we are going to live? Life passes very fast and we may not even live the next day. That is why I feel that spending on this hobby and enjoying what I can is worth it to some extent. Better to enjoy now then saving up and waiting till next time to have money to really spend. Just my 2 cents.
AstroDuck
clittle

Post by clittle »

I have different opinions on life. Some people may feel that we have to start saving now for the future. How long do we know we are going to live? Life passes very fast and we may not even live the next day. That is why I feel that spending on this hobby and enjoying what I can is worth it to some extent. Better to enjoy now then saving up and waiting till next time to have money to really spend. Just my 2 cents.
Wah dude.....your thinking is dangerous. I figure you must be quite young to think this way. Or you have no need to worry about money since the day you were born. Maybe you have a rich parent.

For those older man like me, who has went through recessions and a few job retrenchments, you will realised how important to save for the rainy days. Astro is a hobby, but like someone says above, it can't feed my family. And as a man, making sure your family survive well is the most important....not that scope or that eyepiece. You can think that tommorrow could be your last day, but please don't think it is also the last day for your gf, wife, kids, or any close ones. They need you to survive you know?
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Clittle,
Yes. I am saving. I don't have my own family yet so priorities are different. When I have a family, astronomy purchases will be put behind. I think most people when they are young and unmarried will not be thinking so far in the future.
AstroDuck