Faraday Flashlights aka Shake Flashlights

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
wAi_kiT

Faraday Flashlights aka Shake Flashlights

Post by wAi_kiT »

I've been surfing the net and I've noticed shake flashlights... These flashlights doesn't require any batteries and all you need to do is to shake the flashlight foe a short period of times to get a sufficiently long output. I'm wondering if anyone here bought any of these flashlights?

http://www.shake-flashlights.com/
http://www.greatredspot.com/Shake%20Flashlight.htm
http://www.appliedinnotech.com/nightstar.php
Fascinating Nature - The Night Sky.
Interesting Fact - Planets exists.
Fascinating Nature + Interesting Fact = Astronomy
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hmm... never see before in Singapore. But I seen those mechnical touch light in DIY shop, but never try before... but it really sound interesting... :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

i dont think u want to shake ur hand throughout the night to keep the flashlight alive. probably an army L torch from beach road will suffice. $2.50 for the medium size torch ($5 for the big one) and some cheap red cellophane paper will get u going.
wAi_kiT

Post by wAi_kiT »

Wow, then I guess that maybe only a few in singapore have that kind of flashlights. Am thinking of buying one... But those brands all have hugh gaps between prices...

As seen in those reviews, maybe a 1min shake will be more than enough to provide a few hours of light... But the price is so high... :shock:
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

I've seen them around but haven't used one. They're good for storing for an emergency as you don't have to worry about the batteries.

There are some other versions but the ones I've seen look don't look very bright.
wAi_kiT

Post by wAi_kiT »

Hmmm.... Where you seen them? I'm planning of buying one... But not too sure which brand is better.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Sorry, not sure where to buy the good ones. The lousy looking brands seem to be quite common at roadside stall for example along chinatown.
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

Hi, bought one for the car and one for the house. The one for the house has 3 LED which is fairly bright. Bought mine from the DIY store at Great World City (Basement 1).
wAi_kiT

Post by wAi_kiT »

Hmmm...So how much is it? Does it work fully on Faraday's law? And whats the brand?
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

There are a few OEM ones around which are quite cheap (<$10). I can't remember what is Faraday's Law, but when you shake it, a magnet moves inside a coil, generating a current which is stored in a capacitor.
The brightness is OK for astro work if you have a red filter.

Kay Heem