really bad haze this month..

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Hi,

Just curious, what do you guys do given such weather condition ... apart from equipment discussion? I see a lot of equipment discussion in various threads but I am not a gadget person and would avoid handling equipment unless I have absolutely no choice.

All I want is the haze to clear so that I can see my diamonds, sapphires and rubies (not egg yolk!!!) in the sky ....

Lily
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

Hi Lily

I look at the moon when the haze is around. I can still see the various craters and trying to identify them is the fun bit.

Siah Heng
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Yah.. :) I've been looking at the moon, reading books, surfing the web, and writing stuff for SingastroWiki..

Chris
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

I changed my avatar according to the weather...
Clear skies please...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I changed my avatar according to the weather...
Hmm... are you sure you can see such a clear Sun?? Hee hee :P :P :P

Anyway, the sky tonight clear up a bit after the rain... finally able to see a few stars when on my way back home after so many hazy night... hope the weather will improve soon... :) :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Ok. I've run some analysis on the PSI readings from 1 Sep - 16 Oct, and the chart below confirms some of my suspicions, namely:

1. The PSI is numerically higher during weekends (Sat/Sun) vs weekdays (Mon-Fri) (although not statistically significant, p = 0.16, one-tail).

2. The PSI in the East is lowest (vs Overall: p = 0.006, one-tail).

3. The PSI in the West is the highest.

Thank goodness the Orionids Obs Session is in East Coast!

Take care and breathe carefully!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

wow tachyon.. you're the peak of all observers.. going to such lengths to find out when is the best time to stargaze!! :shock:
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Actually, I also did an analysis of which days is the best, but the sample size is not large enough to generate statistical significance (only 6 weeks data), but I would bet on Wed if I want to do some observations:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
amin7074

Post by amin7074 »

hi,
hopefully the skies will be clear this week........... :cry:

Orionid meteor shower peaks. Arises from the debris field of Comet Halley. Active from October 2 to November 7. Produces very fast (66 km/sec), generally faint meteors (20 per hour). Observe in the pre-dawn hours of 20-22 October; radiant is located near Orion's "club" asterism. Occurs near New Moon this year so viewing conditions are excellent.
• The Orionids (Gary Kronk)........ :shock:

Amin.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Did anyone notice that the sky was unusually clear last night (for a while, that is)?

Perhaps there is some truth to the data showing Wed nights have the lowest PSI... I wonder why?

Could it be that the firemen are not working on weekends? :P And when they start work on Monday, by Wed the fire is more or less under control... Just my wild guess!