New to this forum

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Robin Lee

New to this forum

Post by Robin Lee »

Hi, these days are just too hazy for our observing, aren't they? I am Kim Miau (you may call me Robin as well). I come from Kluang, Johor. I find that most Singaporeans love to do stargazing at Mersing, what makes it such a paradise? Are you willing to drive to there just for Astronomy?

Are there quite a large number of amateur astronomers in Singapore? I hope I can gather all the amateur astronomers in Malaysia.

What do you guys prefer? A doublet or tripet? Or a SCT or Schmidt Newtonian or even a dob?

My equipments are Meade 8" LX90...... I am just too lazy to list all the equipments again :D , if you are interested to know, you may refer to this page, http://www.astronomynotes.net/about/my-equipments/
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Robin
Welcome to Singastro!
Yes, many of us here like to drive up to Mersing as its much darker there.
But of recent times, development there has meant the sky is brightening up too...:-(
There are quite a few hardcore singaporeans here and there are a few Malaysians as well, not to mention others from the rest of the world!
If you have time, do upload your equipment list to the equipment database forum...
thanks!
rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!! :D
I find that most Singaporeans love to do stargazing at Mersing, what makes it such a paradise? Are you willing to drive to there just for Astronomy?
The dark sky and beatiful Milky Way is something can't be seen in Singapore. Also, a lots of deep sky objects(especially galaxy) that's very hard to see in Singapore can be seen in Mersing easily and with a much smaller scope... basically, a 80mm scope in Mersing is like a 8" scope in Singapore... that's why it worth the effort to go all the way there even for a night of observation.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

I wonder anyone of you has visited Kluang before. It's a basin so I guess the dew is sometimes quite terrific. Basically, the light pollution to me are the road light in front of my house and my neighbours' lights. :D

Oh, where is the equipment database? The light pollution in Singapore is just too terrible, isn't it? Anyone of you is now or previously active in cloudynights.com ?
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
river

Post by river »

been there few years ago. Stay somewhere near the stadium and golf driving range. You can try searching some darker spot around your area but avoid the nearby army camp. Best if you can drive to mersing during weekend.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Kim Miau wrote:I wonder anyone of you has visited Kluang before. It's a basin so I guess the dew is sometimes quite terrific. Basically, the light pollution to me are the road light in front of my house and my neighbours' lights. :D

Oh, where is the equipment database? The light pollution in Singapore is just too terrible, isn't it? Anyone of you is now or previously active in cloudynights.com ?
Is that near KL? I understand its a valley, so smog from the city tend to accumulate there. I was in KL many times and the sky there is not anywhere better than in Singapore....it has to be Mersing!
I remember as a young kid in Petaling Jaya (uncle's place) lying on a deck chair on a verandah looking straight up...the sky was so clear then. Of course at that time I did not know the constellations or which ones are planets but I saw quite alot of shooting stars and satellites and of course, the milky way was breathtaking! Nowadays you can forget about seeing the same thing there...thanks to many many many protons sagas, wiras, wajas and of course, the indonesian slash-and-burn farmers...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I check the map ( http://www.abcmalaysia.com/maps/johor_map.htm )... it seem to be nearer a bit compare to Mersing, but toward the west side of Johor.

By the way, how the sky there?? Is Milky Way easily visible?? If the sky is good and you had a safe place for observation, may be next time we can go there for observation. :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

hello. welcome to singastro~!

geez... now i wish i can go mersing(wherever it is in malaysia) like. NOW. .-. heh. you guys make it sound so tempting xD
Lily

Post by Lily »

Is that near KL? I understand its a valley, so smog from the city tend to accumulate there.
Rich, I guess you have confused between Kluang and Klang. They are two different places. Klang is next to KL but Kluang is in Johor.

I stayed in Kluang for about 1 week but that was about 20 years ago. Kluang was surrounded by plantation and I could see nice dark sky but things must have changed since then.

Robin, since you stay in Johor perhaps you can provide some insighter info on the less developed / darker places in Johor? I am sure everybody would love to hear about it.

Lily
ian0138

Post by ian0138 »

Lily wrote:Robin, since you stay in Johor perhaps you can provide some insighter info on the less developed / darker places in Johor? I am sure everybody would love to hear about it.
Yes, why not provide some insight of Kluang area, been there before when doing a joy ride from Mersing back to Sing.
We could arrange another joyride there to check out the sky in the upcoming new moon. anyone?

:) :D :lol:
IAN