your OTHER hobbies!

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

So many traffic lights and so short a distance, you will reach any place in Singapore between high speed and stay in speed limit within 10 mins diff. So what is the rush.
deepakrn

Post by deepakrn »

Clifford60 wrote:So many traffic lights and so short a distance, you will reach any place in Singapore between high speed and stay in speed limit within 10 mins diff. So what is the rush.
You're perfectly right, of course. Which is why it's pointless to speed in Singapore. And I don't do it anymore (at home), because there's such a downside to it now.

A bit off-topic, but Singapore drivers (in general) do have lots of little faults. Main thing that gets to me is the road-hogging in the fast lane that is so rampant here. Even if one is going above the posted limit, one should still yield to a car behind that wants to go quicker. Even if I were doing 160 on the expressway, I would still give way (signal and move over when safe) to a car that wants to go faster (it's not a race). But lots of drivers still have a very poor attitude to fastlane driving. The situation is improving though. :)
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

deepakrn wrote:
A bit off-topic, but Singapore drivers (in general) do have lots of little faults. Main thing that gets to me is the road-hogging in the fast lane that is so rampant here. Even if one is going above the posted limit, one should still yield to a car behind that wants to go quicker. Even if I were doing 160 on the expressway, I would still give way (signal and move over when safe) to a car that wants to go faster (it's not a race). But lots of drivers still have a very poor attitude to fastlane driving. The situation is improving though. :)

hey, let me get a little off-road on the off-topic, but i hardly think drivers can be accused of road-hogging if they are at say 110% of the speed limit, even in the right-most lane. s'pore is such a small country, just 50km across.

if someone wants to blatantly break the law to go at 160km or even in your case 240km/h in s'pore roads mentioned earlier, i hardly think others are in any way obliged to give way to thrill seekers who endanger other road users, right? why do they think others are obliged to yield to them, just bec they want to go faster and speed?

is the "little fault" called "road-hogging" or "reckless speeding"?

who has the "very poor attitude to fastlane driving"? the one who stays within the law, or the one who violates it?

do not these speedsters realise that they are "getting to" the other drivers, and not the other way round? they probably flash their lights impatiently at the "slow" drivers, or drive up close in some intimidatory manner to force the slower car to yield.

and speaking of cyclists, i notice how a large number of road cyclists nowadays think they are immune from traffic rules, e.g. cycling against the flow of traffic and beating red lights. the other day, i saw a powered-up cyclist go cross-junction against the traffic flow next to on-coming cars, at the Holland Road / Cluny Road junction.

i think the key point is, there are traffic rules which are there for all who share the road. those who go on the road had better obey them.
deepakrn

Post by deepakrn »

starfinder wrote:
deepakrn wrote:

hey, let me get a little off-road on the off-topic, but i hardly think drivers can be accused of road-hogging if they are at say 110% of the speed limit, even in the right-most lane. s'pore is such a small country, just 50km across.

if someone wants to blatantly break the law to go at 160km or even in your case 240km/h in s'pore roads mentioned earlier, i hardly think others are in any way obliged to give way to thrill seekers who endanger other road users, right? why do they think others are obliged to yield to them, just bec they want to go faster and speed?

is the "little fault" called "road-hogging" or "reckless speeding"?

who has the "very poor attitude to fastlane driving"? the one who stays within the law, or the one who violates it?

do not these speedsters realise that they are "getting to" the other drivers, and not the other way round? they probably flash their lights impatiently at the "slow" drivers, or drive up close in some intimidatory manner to force the slower car to yield.

and speaking of cyclists, i notice how a large number of road cyclists nowadays think they are immune from traffic rules, e.g. cycling against the flow of traffic and beating red lights. the other day, i saw a powered-up cyclist go cross-junction against the traffic flow next to on-coming cars, at the Holland Road / Cluny Road junction.

i think the key point is, there are traffic rules which are there for all who share the road. those who go on the road had better obey them.
Certainly, those who speed are at fault. No doubt. And I personally do not speed anymore on Singapore roads. But it is not the job of you, I or any other "civilian" road user to enforce the speed limit.

It is common etiquette in most countries to give way to faster traffic that wants to use the fast lane. Sadly, a lot of Singaporeans don't seem to have gotten with the program.

For all you and I know, that person behind you or I in the fast lane who wants to go faster may *need* to go faster - it could even be a medical emergency, for example. But whatever the motive might be, it does not profit any of us to become a moving chicane to teach anyone a lesson in speed limits. When it's safe, just move out of the way, if that fellow wants to take the risks of going so fast, let him, right?

BTW, I don't tailgate. It's a highly dangerous practice, and it leads to serious high speed accidents. If I want to pass, I stay a respectful distance behind until space clears up alongside, that's just common safety sense. I understand your frustration with speedsters who tailgate, I disapprove of their behaviour too. However, it only complicates an already dangerous situation to be obstinate and hold them up further.

The expressway etiquette is clearly written on Sg road signs : "Please keep left unless overtaking". I'm not sure about the legality of passing in the slower lane ("undertaking") in Singapore, but it's sure a lot more unsafe than overtaking in the fast lane. But roadhogs who insist on their right to remain in a holding pattern at the speed limit make proper overtaking impossible. Surely you should be able to see that attitude is neither safe, smart nor considerate?
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

deepakrn wrote:But roadhogs who insist on their right to remain in a holding pattern at the speed limit make proper overtaking impossible. Surely you should be able to see that attitude is neither safe, smart nor considerate?

I think this is putting the cart before the horse, or in updated modern terminology, the engine outside the car.

i said that anyone who goes at 110% of the speed limit can hardly be accused of road-hogging, like you were accusing such persons of doing. Don't you think 160km/h is excessive?

and in your case when you reached 240km/h on Singapore roads, how should that be described? safe, smart, or considerate? even ambulances don't go at anywhere near those speeds, and are prohibited from doing so.

but apart from s'pore roads, how fast do you usually travel when outside s'pore, at maximum? e.g. in malaysia on non-expressways, like in Johor trunk roads?
deepakrn

Post by deepakrn »

starfinder wrote:
deepakrn wrote:But roadhogs who insist on their right to remain in a holding pattern at the speed limit make proper overtaking impossible. Surely you should be able to see that attitude is neither safe, smart nor considerate?

I think this is putting the cart before the horse, or in updated modern terminology, the engine outside the car.

i said that anyone who goes at 110% of the speed limit can hardly be accused of road-hogging, like you were accusing such persons of doing. Don't you think 160km/h is excessive?

and in your case when you reached 240km/h on Singapore roads, how should that be described? safe, smart, or considerate? even ambulances don't go at anywhere near those speeds, and are prohibited from doing so.

but apart from s'pore roads, how fast do you usually travel when outside s'pore, at maximum? e.g. in malaysia on non-expressways, like in Johor trunk roads?
Maybe we'd better take this offline, it's going way off topic and it's getting personal. I would recommend continuing via PM if you're so inclined. :)
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

deepakrn wrote:
Maybe we'd better take this offline, it's going way off topic and it's getting personal. I would recommend continuing via PM if you're so inclined. :)

hey, this is after all the Coffee Corner discussion area. it's not personal, just an animated exchange of strong views. when i saw "240km/h" versus "road-hogging", i went hopping! ha ha ha.

anyway, hope to see you next time to ruminate on geometry and the mysteries of pi!
deepakrn

Post by deepakrn »

starfinder wrote:
deepakrn wrote:

hey, this is after all the Coffee Corner discussion area. it's not personal, just an animated exchange of strong views. when i saw "240km/h" versus "road-hogging", i went hopping! ha ha ha.

anyway, hope to see you next time to ruminate on geometry and the mysteries of pi!
Sure! BTW, PMed you. :)
deepakrn

Post by deepakrn »

Anyway, I'll be away at the TV indulging in my other hobby (more like a great passion) - watching cricket! India vs Sri Lanka, very important game for the former. One wicket down for SL already, good start for India. :D
madsock

Post by madsock »

my othe hobby?

XBox 360!

currently playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

If i can find time off work.

madsock