your OTHER hobbies!

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
My main hobby (actually astronomy is the "other" one, since I'm just starting out) is tracking/racing my car.
Oh... WRX?? Anyway, sound like John Teh... ha ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So it a bit of "illegal" hobby... you must be going to Malaysia a lots... hee hee :wink: :wink:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
deepakrn

Post by deepakrn »

weixing wrote:Hi,
My main hobby (actually astronomy is the "other" one, since I'm just starting out) is tracking/racing my car.
Oh... WRX?? Anyway, sound like John Teh... ha ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So it a bit of "illegal" hobby... you must be going to Malaysia a lots... hee hee :wink: :wink:

Have a nice day.
I do go Msia a fair bit. Mainly the F1 track at Sepang, although I used to Pasir Gudang before (mainly go there for nightsprints now - mini drag races). Always take second link - much quicker and that open stretch after the checkpoint on Singapore side is heaven when you throw caution to the wind and just floor it.

Nothing illegal about driving fast on a racetrack - but I guess I do drive pretty fast on the Msia roads as well (usually, the return journey from Sepang on the NS highway is done at 230-240 km/hr for long stretches at a time). If you're talking about doing "illegal things" to my car...er, no comment. :twisted: :P
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Wow 230 to 240! The max I am willing to go with my small toyota is 160 on Msian NS highway. Above that it is rather risky. Hmm...so looks like the mod car is the most expensive hobby. :P
AstroDuck
rlow

Post by rlow »

Apart from 'astronomy', my other active pastimes are:

1. Badminton - I play recreationally twice a week.
2. Cycling - I also prefer long-distance road cycling; my modified mountain bike cost more than my AstroSky dob.
3. Parrots - I have two, a African Grey and Yellow-Crown Amazon (my avatar); both talk back!
4. Chess - I play Chinese Chess at my local coffeeshop against the 'old grandmasters'
Richard Low
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

anyone into bodybuilding? :P
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
jermng

Post by jermng »

anyone into bodybuilding?
I'm "Into" body building, but never had the will power to stay at it .. HAHAHA ..
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
branzzz

Post by branzzz »

jermng wrote:
graduated top of my batch 2005/06 from the youth flying club.
You make me feel old. I graduated in 2000/2001. :) I don;t agree it was a year of "Hard work and hell" though .. it was pretty fun.
nice to meet you!
mine was really tough because my instructor (raman) made it a point to grill me every single day, but in the end everything turned out well.

i always dream of getting the bikes the pros use, but quite hard to justify paying that kind of money when it could get me a pretty good 400cc motorbike already. anyway, like lance armstrong said, "its not the bike!", meaning the bike is just like the transmission...the engine is more important

speaking of star gazing while flying at night, its quite hard to do cos the planes i fly don't have autopilot, and you've always got to keep a constant lookout for other aircraft and waypoints..
simei-sky

Post by simei-sky »

Bought a simple RC helicopter some time ago and I let my nephew tried it. With 1 stroke of his finger, it crashed...... so much so on my pocket but my nephew was so happy about by the experience....
branzzz

Post by branzzz »

anyway i think you guys might be interested to know that navigating by the night sky is a good skill pilots should have esp when dealing with failures in flight while flying at night. the stars are very clear up there and there have been many situations whereby the stars have guided pilots home after a total electrical failure.
deepakrn

Post by deepakrn »

Canopus Lim wrote:Wow 230 to 240! The max I am willing to go with my small toyota is 160 on Msian NS highway. Above that it is rather risky. Hmm...so looks like the mod car is the most expensive hobby. :P
Heh heh, I've gone over 240 (top speed) on Sg roads before. Once. With my old bugeye WRX (since sold), back when it was completely stock (unmodified). On the Lim Chu Kang stretch with lots of space and room.

That was 4 years back. I would never do that again in Singapore - just not worth it with how strict the enforcement is here. Then, you could still "play" a bit, no hope now. :cry:

Now (with the new WRX), I pretty much crawl everywhere on Singapore roads, and only start "flying" when I cross the Causeway. :)