your OTHER hobbies!

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
branzzz

your OTHER hobbies!

Post by branzzz »

here are some of mine. so far it turns out astro is still the cheapest for me because equipment is a one off cost and the stuff don't wear out even after many years. i choose to keep my astro hobby simple so i won't be spending much

here are some others:

1. flying R/c nitro powered helicopters - these are really interesting and very technical. i'm sure some of you would be surprised that these are very very aerobatic, because they can fly in all directions, even inverted. but this hobby is pretty expensive. imagine your entire $2000 investment in the air with the risk of crashing and losing it all any moment.

2. road cycling - another hobby that's also very expensive. performance and speed comes at very high prices. my bike is quite blinged and fast now. very very good for keeping fit and going places! currently i'm doing long dist round SG trips, with av speeds of 35km/h

3. clarinet - not exactly a hobby, but something that i'm very good in. learnt to play it during my secondary school days, through poly days, and right now working part time teaching it to younger kids.

4. rabbits - okay, this can't be considered a hobby either, but a interest and passion. i've kept them for almost a year now and still look forward to seeing them everytime i reach home. no matter how stressed i am, i will always feel better giving them attention.

5. flying - the last one is the one i love the most, but i can't get to enjoy on a regular basis, at least not until i make it my full time job. graduated top of my batch 2005/06 from the youth flying club.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
branzzz

Post by branzzz »

more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by branzzz on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
branzzz

Post by branzzz »

more stuff
branzzz

Post by branzzz »

second last one! if only one post can upload more photos!
branzzz

Post by branzzz »

alright here's the last one. some people will think i'm really rich to enjoy so many good things, but i'm not rich just really really lucky to have any opportunities along the way. besides flying, which was provided free courtesy of mindef, all other hobbies were self financed through missed lunches over many years.

what other hobbies do you guys have?
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Wow cool. Next time you be a pilot and you can have more hobbies. :)
I have only one hobby and its astronomy... I cannot afford another hobby because of this hobby. How is it like observing the stars from the airplane? Perhaps you can invest in those image stabilizing binos and you would have a good time observing the nightsky from the airplane.

I have other hobbies if you consider it a hobby.. like playing table tennis, cycling (have my own bicyle that cost much less than a Nagler T6) and football. Well, the most expensive gear of these hobbies are already cheaper than one of the cheapest eyepieces. :P

Anyway, if compared to audio (especially those involving speakers) or photography or pro cycling, visual astronomy is not that expensive. My colleague's bike already cost S$8000.
AstroDuck
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
WOW!! Pilot... interesting... I can only play flight simulator with my PC in when I'm in your age... hee hee :P :P :P Anyway, the closest I got to a real aircraft was doing some testing in a SIA 747 (I think) cockpit a few years ago. Do you still fly regularly??

Other hobby... hmm.... last time got robotics and electronics, but now getting lazy... so left with only Astronomy... :) :)

Talking about rabbit, I still remember during my childhood time, we got 100++ rabbits... but that's my mum hobby... hee hee :P :P :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
jermng

Post by jermng »

graduated top of my batch 2005/06 from the youth flying club.
You make me feel old. I graduated in 2000/2001. :) I don;t agree it was a year of "Hard work and hell" though .. it was pretty fun.
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

The rabbits are so CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) and well i don't have really sophisticated airplanes but my dad bought a 30 dollar one and it already seems fun! Plus my cat has tons of fun playing with it:) I bet you get lots of girls. don't you Branzzz? :)
deepakrn

Post by deepakrn »

My main hobby (actually astronomy is the "other" one, since I'm just starting out) is tracking/racing my car.