More simulations

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
ChaosKnight

More simulations

Post by ChaosKnight »

A numerical simulation of our solar system with one comet. The core code is written in C++ and visualization of data done using Matlab. For simplicity all planets are made to orbit in the same plane. The comet enters the plane of the solar system from the +ve z-direction.

The first GIF shows the comet entering the inner solar system and doing a quick pass around the sun at perihelion before heading out. Perihelion is a point between the Sun and Mercury's orbit

The 2nd and 3rd simulations show the same comet with different initial conditions. The comet now hits the plane of the solar system at a point between the orbit of Jupiter and Mars.

The final jpeg shows a stereoscopic view of the comet's path for the 2nd and 3rd simulations.

Note the error in Venus's orbiting direction.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

nice! maybe you can up the challenge by recreating levy-shoemaker 9's path to "graduation".? :twisted:

And top it of with one of the outer planets Pluto, Sedna, Quaoar, etc? :wink:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

wow, very very impressive.. i think this one should graduate from coffee corner! shows a lot, really.

Maybe you'd like to improve on it by adding the planes of rotation. it actually matters that not all planets are on the same plane, otherwise chaos would probably ensue..

Still, powerful stuff!
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

i'm impressed! Good effort, and love to keep 'em coming!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

mamamia!! very very nice!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I need to learn Matlab skills from you!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Nice! Good work!
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

This simulation shows a comet breaking into up two fragments as it passes too close to the sun. This simulation is similar to the first, except all movement is transformed relative to the comet.

The jpeg shows a stereoscopic view of the comet as it is leaving the solar system.

ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

This thread doesn't belong to coffee corner.
Nice work!

Arief
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Impressive work! Didn't know Singapore astronomers are so hi-tech. Hahhaaa~~....sorry for sounding like a newbie, but can you or anyone pls explain how to write programs like this?? It will be fun to have a mini solar system on my computer :P :P .