having fun with your telescope?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

My first scope - a Tasco 2" collapsible refractor (the ones which Sailors use). I can carry it with me wherever I go!

The first time I looked at the moon with it I was blinded! Then I found out that I can see what people on the opposite block was doing, and it became a terrestrial scope! Heh...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

My most fun scope is my Obsession 12.5". Simple and smooth to operate and I have the options of using my DSC or tracking. With the resolution and aperture, I can see lot of details on planets/ lunar and DSOs in Singapore or Mersing.

Everytime I look at the moon, I see far more craters than is recorded on the Lunar Atlas. Clusters of craters looking like clusters of stars. Lots of details on planets (and I find it looks better than most amateur astro photos) and sharp optics. Aperture big enough to see galaxy structures at dark sky places. The only issue I have is that there is not many chances to go Mersing (due to time, weather)...so I am mostly limited to brighter DSOs and planets/ lunar in Singapore.

Whenever, there is clear weather, I am usually out with my scope.
AstroDuck
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

acc wrote:
Airconvent wrote:
kayheem wrote:CC's portaballs.

Absolutely a joy to track and fantastic views!
using the word in plural seems to denote something naughty..hahaha.
Richard!! What are you thinking about!!?? :shock: :)

Of all the scopes that I have owned and sold, the one that I miss most is the Orion XT 10" Dobsonian. It cost me less than US$500 and yet has the aperture (10") to go deep, the optics are good enough to give contrasty and detailed views of the planets, and setup takes less than a couple of minutes. I sold it only because there was no economical way of shipping the scope back to Sg. If I only had dropped the OTA into the pacific ocean and let the currents bring in back to Sg for me... :)

I now have my portaball as my 'permanent' telescope. I like it most for its fluid and unrestricted movements :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

YB's Obsession 12.5", the 1st time I saw so many stars and DSO in Singapore and of course CC's portaball
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

?? Remus is asking about your telescope, how come we end up with others telescope. Me, 1st and only ETX 105, still learning. But after seeing through the big guns, having problem now.
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

I've played with big SCTs and small refractors. To me my 80mm, coupled with a Altaz mount is my most frequently used scope and setup. Portability and sustainability is most important to a non-driver like me.
Wee Nghee the Pooh
jermng

Post by jermng »

Yes, I agree with Wee Ngee, to me, my 80mm .. is so amazing ... for grab&go .. and the views through it are just WOW!! :)
The best scope is the one most used. :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
river

Post by river »

I miss Nexstar 4GT.

ED80 is my primary scope now.
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

I'm using my 8" LX90. Since I am just doing visual, it serves me pretty well.
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

my first skywatcher mak cass!