Italian Astronomers Image UFO On Moon

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
ariefm71

Italian Astronomers Image UFO On Moon

Post by ariefm71 »

recently using his C8 and a webcam: http://81.72.14.47/Astro/UFO-April-29-2007/
(download the entire avi before playing it)

I don't actually believe in UFO, but this is quite interesting :-)
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Arief, you are right. It is an interesting clip. It wouldn't be so interesting if the moving shadow did not change direction.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

2 questions

- the black dot is very very big relative to the size of the moon
- the speed of it moving across the moon will be very very fast, yet the dot is still round.

Decide yourselves if the video is real.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
IMHO, the object is not on the Moon... not even near the Moon. Moon reflect sunlight, so if the object is just above or very close to the Moon, we'll not see the object silhouette, but the object itself and it'll be a very large object. Since we only saw the object's silhouette, IMHO, the object must be very near Earth.

IMHO, may be it's a balloon just happen to be in the line of sight if the video is real.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

I was thinking that the moving round dot is not an object near the surface of the moon, but the shadow of something flying between the sun and moon; more of an eclipse shadow. The further the object is from the moon, the faster the shadow will move on the moon.

If what weixing said is correct i.e. near earth, I would think that the dot will not be in focus with the features on the moon.

I re-looked at the video. At about 1:08 to about 1:15 into the video, the black dot crosses the crater marked 'Grove'. I don't know if it was my imagination, but I thought there was a slight distortion of the object as it 'climbed' out of the crater.

This would give some weight to my guess that it is a shadow being cast on the moon. If it were merely a silhouette, there should not be any distortion as it crosses the crater.

But what object caused this silhoette or shadow? If it moves in a straight line, it can be dismissed as a satellite. However, note the acute angle of turn.

Clifford: I do not understand your statement "..the speed of it moving across the moon will be very very fast, yet the dot is still round..." Why can't a round object move at high speed?
David Lian

Post by David Lian »

Look like a BUG (maybe ladybird) crawling on the len of scope.
It must be looking for its mate :oops:
DL
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

i second DL's theory =)
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Yes, what we're seeing is the shadow of the object cast onto the moon surface
I re-looked at the video. At about 1:08 to about 1:15 into the video, the black dot crosses the crater marked 'Grove'. I don't know if it was my imagination, but I thought there was a slight distortion of the object as it 'climbed' out of the crater.
Yes, the distortion as it climbed out of the crater surface suggested it was a shadow on the moon surface

Since the shadow was apparently affected by seeing condition (notice the boiling image), it can't be a bug crawling on the corrector lens.

Btw, I should've changed the thread title to "Unidentified Object" as we astronomers don't believe in UFO.
jermng

Post by jermng »

Btw, I should've changed the thread title to "Unidentified Object" as we astronomers don't believe in UFO.
Isn't it the same thing? UFO=Unidentified Flying object?
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

kayheem wrote: Clifford: I do not understand your statement "..the speed of it moving across the moon will be very very fast, yet the dot is still round..." Why can't a round object move at high speed?
A round object sure can move at high speed, the question is whether the cam can show it as a round dot or a elongated dot or line.

If the object is between the sun and moon, how can it be a concentrated black dot and not shade of grey? If it is a concentrated black dot, the object must be very near the moon, then it can't be just a shadow. Also, it has to be very big in size, tens or even hundreds of km across, so why can't see the object, oh it is a black object, we are seeing it.

I like DL's idea. What is the effect of the moon light on a lady bug on the glass showed up in the CCD/CMOS sensor?