Star Trek Goodies

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

ooohhh..

The "Long" version of Star Trek XI trailer is out and its exciting!
Movie will be out in May 09. I wonder if Singapore will have simultaneous release?

http://www.space.com/common/media/video ... 0306_STrek

Live Long and Prosper
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Heh.. it's starting to look like Star Wreck!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

HAHAHAH..
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Leonard Nimoy talks about the new show as well as how he came out with the idea for Star Trek IV "The Voyage Home" (which he directed)

Part 1
http://www.space.com/common/media/video ... 5_Nimoy_01

Part 2
http://www.space.com/common/media/video ... 5_Nimoy_02

Part 3
http://www.space.com/common/media/video ... 5_Nimoy_03
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Star Trek XI ! (may contain spoilers!)

Yup...as a hardcore trekker, could not control the temptation!
Stopped work at 8.30 and got to a cinema by 9pm to catch the movie.
Surprisingly the cinema only 1/3 full....that's the advantage of weekday night viewing!

My take is if you are a Star Wars fan or have never seen Star trek before, you'll love this movie. For trekkers like us, the movie was great but I also felt a loss because much of the stuff that are the trademark of Star Trek was missing. The warp speed which looks more like BSG's FTL jumps. And oddly, the lost the ability to scan ahead while at warp speed.
The perfect world is no longer there. Cadets gets into fights. The internal of a starship is a mess of pipes and structures instead of the nice clean walls.
The characters have also deviated. As I recall reading how the crew met each other and where they originated from, this movie made them all meet at the same time. Also, Kirk gets command of a starship fresh out of cadet school...unbelievable. And the star of the show, the star ship, most of the time you see parts of it but seldom the whole ship. Its a pity Majal barrett passed on because somehow the new computer voice sounded so alien to me...
As for the story, you've guessed it, some time traveller is wrecking havoc and causinga permanent deviation from the original timeline. That means the events leading to STTNG, DS9 and Voyager may be altered.

Now I am curious to see how the next movie (already planned) will do...
Spocket

2009 Newest Star Trek action figures & collectibles !!!

Post by Spocket »

With the newest movie of Star Trek coming soon it 's time to get newest collectibles !!! Tons of new Star Trek action figures,sculptures and collectibles will be release this summer. I'm a big fan of Star Trek and i watching for best deal. For now i already found these cool Star Trek memorabilia's !!!

Star Trek The Final Frontier Sculpture

.....................................................................................................

STAR TREK Collectible USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Laser Etched Glass Figurine

......................................................................................................

Deluxe Edition Star Trek Electronic Command Chair with voice and sound effects from the timeless Star Trek series. This memory-invoking set also features light-up control panels and the commander of the USS Enterprise himself. The figure of Captain Kirk is 7-inch scale, and the chair measures 4 1/2-inches tall x 4-inches wide.

....................................................................................................

From Star Trek: The Next Generation and standing over 6-inches tall, Deanna Troi comes in her trademark form-fitting jumpsuit. The half-Betazoid, half-human space hottie comes packaged with a display base and a whole galaxy of authentic accessories: PADD 1A, Type 2 Cobra Phaser, computer, and a sculpture of Janaran Falls from the popular episode "Second Chances."

.....................................................................................................

Exclusive Collectible Star Trek Figurine Collection with U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 Figurine.

....................................................................................................

Source:
http://www.myfantasyweb.com/startrek.html
........................................................................................................

If you found more new Star Trek collectibles please post them in this thread please !!!
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

i love the movie. being a gen-x ng guy, i've no problem with them changing things... ;-)
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

I watched the Star Trek (2009) film on Sat.

Overall, I think it was very entertaining. The story line was quite good (a prequel to the TV series) though in many instances quite illogical too.

I think some of the characters were poorly portrayed by the new set of actors. (That does not apply of course to one of the old ones: would be a spoiler if I said who. It's worth watching the movie just to see that actor in action again).

For example, the young James T Kirk was I think badly played by Chris Pine. He was often so flippant that he could not later become the Kirk played by he-who-became TJ Hooker. Also, Simon Pegg as "Scotty" was awful. Perhaps it was the director JJ Abram's fault.

Having said all that, I think it's definitely worth watching. Many years ago, I watched about six Star Trek movies in a row overnight in a cinema. By the time I got to the latest one at dawn, the new one, I was half asleep and missed most of it. So I think I later had to watch it again. Ha...
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

The bashing has begun!

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/t ... =a-section

But note the promise that Paramount will add THREE HOURS of new footage that will add the required amount of cerebral elements to make Star Trek fans happy..and in actual fact, selling more DVDs in the process!

By the way, I though the Kobayashi Maru test part was quite lame. I read the book on how Kirk beat it and its not so childish and brash. His reprogrammming was so subtle that the Klingons OFFERED to help him rescue the Kobayahsi Maru and he obliged. In the disciplinary hearings, he was eventually commended but thinking out of the box to solve a no-win situation and of course became the only star fleet cadet to have cheated and commended. I think JJ watched too many Star Wars movies and did not read enough of the trekkie world.
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Airconvent wrote:The bashing has begun!

I read the book on how Kirk beat it and its not so childish and brash.
That's right! Chris Pine was not just flippant, he was childish and brash in that scene. How silly, munching greedily away at an apple whilst doing the test. Yucks! And all that skirt chasing.... William Shatner must be appalled, he should get TJ Hooker to arrest the young Kirk.

I'm sure it's the director's fault. I hereby call for those scenes to be deleted and Star Trek 2009 re-released! Plus a $10 cinema voucher to all who watched the first one. Haaa...