Any Macross Fans here?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Any Macross Fans here?

Post by Airconvent »

To me, macross is THE mecha series. I'm not talking about the American-dubbed Robotech version but the original japanese one with all its beautiful and haunting tunes. wow...what a series!
In anycase, with Transformers, Spiderman Tobey Maguire has acquired the rights to make it into a movie. When Michael Bay heard this, he was reported to have boasted he will make Transformer II so action-packed no one will see macross (or Robotech to the americans). I think he missed the point. Macross is about love, courage with lots of action thrown in. Transformers was about live action with a small love sub-plot.
I do hope they stick to the original story rather than "re-imagine" it....
I for one was never a fan of the Transformers cartoon series, so I guess I am in the macross camp....
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The Robotech took three unrelated (story) Japanese animated mecha series and combine into one long series. As far as I can see, Robotech didn't change much of the original series... it just add in some "extra" in between the original series to link up the story.

Anyway, I had watch the Robotech series, the original "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross" series, the original Japanese "The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross" series and the original "Genesis Climber Mospeada" series. All the original series was very nice, but the Robotech link the three animated story so well that it make the saga more complete. Also, the Macross movie and the Robotech movie was also very nice to watch.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I am from the 'Giant Robot' era.. heh
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Tachyon wrote:I am from the 'Giant Robot' era.. heh
haha..me too! I watched it in malay on RTM3....as with a few anime too.
I can still remember the boy screaming "Giant Robot, Tebang!"... :lol:
kazumacat

Post by kazumacat »

Woo quite a number of Macross fans over in this forum...
As for me, i love Macross, but "Macross Zero" only...
I'm young so didnt caught the old and original series and movies of Macross...
About weixing said, the three series combined into one: "Robotech".
I'm so strange to those~! LOLx..

I am definitely a fan of Macross Zero's fan... hehe~
~Clear Skies~

Clear Skies~! I wish for Clear Skies when i'm free~!!! Clear Skies~!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
The Robotech took three unrelated (story) Japanese animated mecha series and combine into one long series. As far as I can see, Robotech didn't change much of the original series... it just add in some "extra" in between the original series to link up the story.

Anyway, I had watch the Robotech series, the original "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross" series, the original Japanese "The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross" series and the original "Genesis Climber Mospeada" series. All the original series was very nice, but the Robotech link the three animated story so well that it make the saga more complete. Also, the Macross movie and the Robotech movie was also very nice to watch.

Have a nice day.
Yes...the original was nicer because of the nice music and more battle scenes.
Indeed when Harmony Gold wanted to syndicate macross. they found the 36 episodes too short, so they linked 3 unrelated stories together. They injected scenes from mospeada into macross to ensure some continuity. In addition, they also removed many of the more violent fight scenes to meet US cartoon requirements including a nude scene too from the original macross.
That is why there is a lack of continuity in the 3 series.
However, recently, with permission from the japanese principle, they released a continuation to the "next generation" series using scripts from US but animators from Japan/Korea. Its actually very good. (The Shadow Chronicles). It continues from when bernard left earth to rejoin the fleet. I quite like it but discovered to my horror its the first of a new series. I wonder when the next installment will be released.... :cry:

In anycase, so far I have watched macross, macross II, macross plus, macross zero and a little bit of macross seven. I think all of them pale in comparison with the original one especially the animation.
While the movement was more sophisticated, the expressions on the characters face simply cannot match the soulful look of minmei and misa...
if you do not have the patience, then go for the movie (Macross -The Movie - Do You Remember Love)

I had hoped they would release a continuation of the original series with the original cast and see what happens after the zentraedi defeat....oh well.. I get the feeling the americans are going to ruin it with their americanised adaptation and probably more fighting and lesser stories in an attempt to make it better than transformers...
river

Post by river »

Airconvent wrote:
err... "terbang" is fly, "tebang" is chop (like chop down a tree)... :lol:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

river wrote:
Airconvent wrote:
err... "terbang" is fly, "tebang" is chop (like chop down a tree)... :lol:
ok...heh heh I only had 3 lessons of Malay in primary school before it was discontinued... :lol:
BTW, I bought the new animation version..have yet to watch it though..
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

Have you watched the new Macross Frontier? I just watched the first 3 episodes. Seems decent so far.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Fuzzy wrote:Have you watched the new Macross Frontier? I just watched the first 3 episodes. Seems decent so far.
I heard the animation quality is good. But its a pain to have to watch it and then wait a long time for the next episode to be released. For example, the Mai Otome s.ifr only has 3 episdoes but they are planned to released months apart! I saw episode one and is soooo good but now the wait has started for episode 2 in May...sigh...