Any PC Overclocking Enthusiastic?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Jingguo

Any PC Overclocking Enthusiastic?

Post by Jingguo »

Just like to find out if there are anyone out there is an Pc overclocking enthu. Due to the poor sky, i decided to spend sometime doing PC overclocking. Din finish where i left off perviously. I try to overclock my Athlon 3200 from 2.1 to 3.2. i left it at 3ghz. Couldn't go any higher due to instability of the pc. Anyone here into water cooling? thanks
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

hi jingguo...

i just build a 4.1 ghz intel lga775 rig (410fsb x 10 ), comprising a x38ds5 mb, qx9770 cooled with prolimatech megahalems with IC7 dimond thermal interface...it is running a cool 55 degree c ...on 1.375 vcore.

Base on the latest heatpipe HSF ( Air Cool ), the commonly available ie Thermalright extreme, coolermaster v8, or above megahalems will outperform watercooling...you can google coolermaster aquagate max review etc...you don't have to worry about water pumps and leaks within pc...also if you use the high efficency heatpipe HSF, good to get a high airflow pc casing like antec900 or coolermaster haf932.

The biggest enemy for overclocking is cpu temp which you can use core temp to monitor...and OCCT to testbed the setup.

I use the computer to run Distributed Computing ...folding@Home etc..benchmarking ...my 3d06mark is about 23,000 to 24,000...using crossfire ati 4890.

There are better forum ie VRzone for this topic...including liquid nitrogen cooling...asetek vapor chill (Vapor Phase Cooling).

This website is probably better for astronomy... :)

Singapore appeared very high up in overclocking...which i am part of a small support monitoring team :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=210362

http://aocc2007.vr-zone.com/

Cheers
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

e-3 or e-6? i assume socket 939? my previous 3500+ didn't make it above 2.9ghz. so i guess a stable 3ghz is a gd one. dun waste too much money just to squeeze out that last 50-100mhz clock speed. time to move up to the 720be.

~MooEy~
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

Heh I'm also an overclocker, but not as crazy as I was when I was younger. Used to run a Socket 939 Opteron 146 and 165 both clocked for folding, been so long I can't remember what clockspeeds I had those at.

I'm currently running a Core2Duo E8400 clocked at 4.23Ghz (9x460) its juiced at 1.35 Vcore.

I was previously running a Q6600 G0 at 3.2Ghz, but was under utilizing the other 2 cores, and it needed fairly high voltage to be 12 hours Prime stable.

Mainly a gaming rig Sapphire HD4870 512mb with a Thermalright HR03-GT and a 90mm Sunon fan I pulled from a server on it (only mild clocks on the GPU, lazy to push :)

DFI Lanparty UT X48 mobo, Kingston HyperXDDR800 @ 901Mhz (yeah I know I'm cheap...)

Watercooled with a D-tek Fuzion waterblock, Swiftech 2x 120mm Radiator with 2x Papst 120mm fans and 2 litre reservoir. Laing (Swiftech oem) D5 pump.

Currently using Arctic Cooling MX-2 for my thermal interface material, still have quite a lot of Arctic Silver 5 which I was using previously.

Been meaning to pick up some IC7 diamond to try out, but keep missing the VRZ mass orders. I've tried CoolLaboratories Liquid Metal, results were ok nothing spectacular, but having to lap your waterblock/hsf every time you unmount it really cramped my style.

Applying the liquid metal is really cool though, you put around 1/3 ml only on the cpu and can spread it out in a layer over the entire CPU Heatspreader with a cotton bud, its like playing with Mercury, I believe its Gallium based though, and the stuff cures hard.

I was folding with my PS3, Q6600 and older 3870 GPU 24/7 in the past, but stopped to conserve electricity >_>

P.S. I am not a big fan of the VRZone forums, seriously signal to noise issues...too many lamers :D