Vow,they can open our luggage and just take/d what they want

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
superiorstream

Vow,they can open our luggage and just take/d what they want

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,All
It was reported in TODAY newspaper/worldwide that certain airlines going out of Singapore has passengers complaining of items lost from their luggage while the lock of the concerned luggage seems intact.This calls for great concern for us astronomer/astrophotographer as we always go oversea to shot and its impossible to HAND CARRY ALL EXPENSIVE items.Even worse is that if whoever stole those items decide to use our luggage to send drug oversea,then it may lead to our imprisonment or even death if those countries are the type that adapt---you are guilty unless proven innocent--type of law.DEEPLY CONCERNED.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I think the issue is the special lock that is mandated by US customs that can be opened with a master key. Anyone who gets their hand on one can open your bag. However, if you use a non-authorised lock and the customes officer can't open it, they will break it with a cable cutter too. So best is to hand carry your more expensive stuff and remember to buy insurance ! [smilie=bye.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Those zipper luggage can be opened with a ball point pen in seconds and then lock it back without a trace. Anyone can do it too, just need to know the trick, check youtube and you will find it.

Anyway for the custom, there is NO lock to difficult for them to open with the tools they have.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Why should someone put something expensive in a luggage that can be opened in seconds and closed without a trace??? Like Richard mentioned, hand carried the expensive stuffs, especially small in size and buy insurance too if needed.

If worry about check in items in the luggage gone missing, take a photo of them before check in as proof. If anything gone missing when you reach the destination and you are still in the airport, you can claim from the airline as well as the insurance.

As for the planted "evident", it more like the custom/authority is testing out something. I think you can get planted easier at the causeway than at the airport. Losing something is a bigger concern for check in luggage as there will be a higher chance of "internal" thief.

If still worry about this and that, then better stay at home. You can't do much when you are in that kind of situation, just do the best you can to protect your stuffs.
rlow

Post by rlow »

DELSEY has a range of luggage cases with Zip Securi Tech that can't be open with a pen.
Richard Low
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

croys wrote:I'm not worried - the risk is low, but it's worth being aware of. It also makes a mockery of the so-called security in airports that wastes everyone's time. That annoys me more.
I don't think the airport security is to be blamed.I doubt there is a 100% assured and guranteed solution with regards to any security setup. You can have all the protocols in place, deploy all sort of security personnels and apparatus but there are still chances of ill-intent individuals slipping through all these dredge nets. Even during the Beijing Olympics, when the PRC authorities deploy a security personnel at every 10m along the main roads of the city; a lone, disgruntled local still managed to stab the US volleyball coach to death along one these venues. This comes to show that no security system is fool's proof. Another example is from my friend who did his conscription term in the navy. During one of the anti-infiltration exercise, even after advance sensors like radar, night vision, infrared detectors and extra personnels are developed, the naval divers still managed to sneak close enough to the ships and placed mocked explosives to "blow"them up.

But for all the security checks, I also feel that it is extremely troublesome and even annoying at times, but at least it gives the passengers and visitors some form of assurance.
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

I think this is the TODAY newspaper story being referred to:
"Tiger Airways passengers to Shenzhen find items missing from their luggage"
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... u-already-,,,

From the article its clear that the complaint is by Singapore passengers on Tiger Airways and SilkAir who arrive at Shenzhen airport in China.

Therefore, it's likely the thefts took place at Shenzhen.

I would be surprised if such thefts routinely happened at Singapore's Changi Airport. I hope Superiorstream would edit his initial post to reflect that?
swat_pup6433

Post by swat_pup6433 »

Sick manz! gonna use one of those giant abloy locks for the bag! if they need to open it! open it in my presence!