Singapore education

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
enewmen

Singapore education

Post by enewmen »

Hi all.

I'm new to Singapore.
Like most parents, I want the best for my kids.
So, my question is, what's better - public or private?
For example. If the kid wanted to enter NUS, will he be selected more on the grades of past classes or test scores?
If grades are more important, then a normal 'O' level secondary school and jounior college is the way to go.
If it's based on test scores, then maybe the NUS Integrated Programme High School is better?
I know things arn't so simple and this is a generalization. I'm just looking for a basic idea.

Or do I have this completely wrong?

thanks!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
I know you want the less official details but I guess you can start here first :

http://www.singaporeedu.gov.sg/htm/stu/stu01.htm

Regards
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Singapore is extremely meritocratic. Formal channels are definitely the best ways to go, so if you're referring to private schools that offer IB/etc, I'm not sure if NUS will accept them. But NUS High School is also an accepted formal channel to bring your kid into NUS, so theoretically neither JC route nor NUS-HS route will make a difference as long as they score well.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Yes, NUS accepts IB scholars.
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
enewmen

Post by enewmen »

Thanks for the posts!

I looked at the chart from Airconvent, it seems Polytech has no 'A' level test. Does this matter?
What's IB? I was talking about Integrated Programme (IP), as in the Raffles (secondary & JC) )Institution.
I thought the Raffels school was as formal a channel as one can get??

More generally,
If the kids do well in Primary School: English, native language, and Math, etc - they should stay on th academic track through secondary?

I remember when I was a young kid, I was put in some "spcecial/technical education track" for unknown reasons. Then it became VERY difficult for me pull out of that and get accepted to a major university. Things finally got easier after I was accepted.
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

IB = International Baccalaureate.
Clear skies,
Robin.

enewmen

Post by enewmen »

Thanks.
Actually, my kids are Singaporean - so they don't need to transfer from anyplace.
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

enewmen wrote:Thanks.
Actually, my kids are Singaporean - so they don't need to transfer from anyplace.
What I know about IB is that it is considered as one of the toughest syllabus one can take for secondary level, thus it is most recognized by global universities. Some schools even set a specific merit prize or grant for students who are admitted with stellar IB result. Normally, a student does IB when it's time to do A-level and other equivalent syllabus.

Perhaps you can send your kid to the normal academic track before it's time to decide between IB/ A-level? Take my words as a pinch of salt since I am not Singaporean.
Clear skies,
Robin.