100k ohm resistor

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Junming-jm

100k ohm resistor

Post by Junming-jm »

anyone knows where to buy 100k ohm resistor somewhere near woodlands?
When you saw me on your optical lens or mirror it is late.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

nowhere. go to Sim Lim Tower (walking distance to Bugis MRT). These things cost something like 10 cents or less.. so you'll waste more time/money going to Sim Lim.
wintertriangle22

Post by wintertriangle22 »

Yes , you can buy 100k ohm resistor at Sim Lim Tower 2 min walking distance to Bugis MRT.
Better to buy some other electronic projects /electronic components at the same time.Comprehensive range available.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Any DIY constructor worth his salt must go to Sim Lim Tower at least once.
Its THE place to get components readily. I am sure there are probably 1 or 2 places that may have it but not as centralised as SLT.
I remember back in my school days I always go there to buy components to buy simple electronics projects. Good luck! [smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

one of these days i'll buy hundreds of resistors.. and make a dew heater :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

orly_andico wrote:one of these days i'll buy hundreds of resistors.. and make a dew heater :)
I made one for my N8 previously. You don't need hundreds, just enough to wrap round the OTA. The killer is the current drain though. Too high and the battery dies early. Too low and you cant get above the dew point. [smilie=cool.gif]
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Erm, heater packs from Diaso...... 6 or 8 small packs for $2. Heats up to 40deg C and the metal of the tube should transmit the heat all around. :) Much simpler than soldering then lugging it around with associated battery pack.
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

hey Kevin... Gary tried those heater packs last August in Punggai. They don't put out enough heat. Or maybe he didn't put enough of them on.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Yup...I previously used these adhesive heat packs and glued them to the ota. They almost left marks on it plus the heat was not sufficient to do the job. I guess that's why they charge good money for a proper heater strap! [smilie=crying2.gif]
Gary

Post by Gary »

orly_andico wrote:hey Kevin... Gary tried those heater packs last August in Punggai. They don't put out enough heat. Or maybe he didn't put enough of them on.
Ok. Since it is coffee corner, so I assumed getting off-topic from resistor to dew heater should be fine. :)

@Orly: I think you may have confused my scope at Punggai last august with the Meade LS and/or the CPC 800. If my memory serves me right, I think my maksutov with heat packs strapped around the dewshield (not on the main OTA body) does not have a major problem with dew that evening and the next. It was the CPC and Meade LS that received the hair dryer treatment. :)

On the second night, I am one of the last person to pack up (around 5 am++). Had the heat packs failed to chase away dew from my maksutov, Kevin would not have gotten a few more sharp last looks at M42 before I packed up.

Though my scope did not completely dew up those 2 nights, I suspect there were some thin layer of dew forming and a few more additional heat packs would definitely have helped. Anyway, was too amazed by the clear sky that night to waste time checking how much dew formed on the corrector (if any).

Just came back from Desaru Damai Beach Resort over the weekend. Again, no major dew issue throughout the night when I used 3 hand-sized heatpacks around the Meade 8" DIY plastic file folder dewshield. These heatpacks were purchased from Winter Time shop as Daiso at both ION Orchard and Plaza Singapura ran out of stocks.

When their stocks are available again, will definitely buy much more this time round to stock up.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.