Transformers 3 @ IMAX 3D (may have spoilers!)

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Gary

Transformers 3 @ IMAX 3D (may have spoilers!)

Post by Gary »

For those who absolutely do not want to know anything about this movie, please STOP READING any further now! You have been warned. :):)

Finally watched this movie at Shaw's Lido IMAX 3D yesterday afternoon with a good friend.

Just sharing some of my thoughts here about the imax3d and the movie in case fellow members are wondering if it is worth watching it there.

If the following comments do not make sense, please kindly ignore and pardon my rantings. :)

- Tickets priced at $19 for off-peak periods and $22 for peak. Add $1 for online booking.

- No more food stores (McDonalds, KFC, ...etc) at the movie theater level after the renovation. So if you are hungry, you may eat something elsewhere first. Really missed the fast food stores and wooden tables and benches there. So much wonderful memories of catching up with friends there before the movies begin.

- Wanted to watch this movie at IMAX 3D last week. A quick check of the tickets online back then revealed that I need to book at least one week in advance to get decent (not even the best) seats somewhere in the middle. Why so many people are suddenly free on weekday mid-afternoons to catch a movie? :)

- The movie screen is big and slightly curved at the ends. DO NOT bother to buy any tickets if you cannot get good central seats. If will be a waste of your time and money. The first row will break your neck before the movie even begins. It is way too near. The seats at the extreme sides are too far away. Those angles are simply too sharp to enjoy the movie at all. Remember you are paying the same price as the central seats. So better book way in advance if you really want to enjoy the movie and the imax3d experience.

- The 3D glasses are well designed. Light and non-battery operated. And most importantly, they have oversized glass area to prevent the glass frame from interfering with the visuals. The sides are plastic spring loaded with straight ends.

- Leg room and seat width is surprising just a bit narrower compared to other modern theatres in Singapore.

- No irritating side lights (e.g. from green "exit" signs) when the movie begins. Can be very dark. Enter the theater early if you have problems finding seats in the dark. Though the seat numbers are slightly illuminated and you can use your handphone light if necessary.

- The imax3d trailers were much more 3D and spectacular than the transformers movie 3D effect overall. LOL. There is this ocean related move trailer which is really cool. Makes you wanna grab the sharks and fishes with your hands.

- The overall 3D effect of Transformers 3 is a hit and miss thing for me. In some scenes, it was quite well rendered. In others, it looked like fake 3D -- 2D layering effect to create an apparent sense of depth, ala Clash of the Titans. LOL

- So I guess for the best imax3d experience, watch a movie that is designed from day 1 to look good on IMAX 3D. I guess it is easier for animations to achieve that effect, with the exception of Avatar of course.

- Now that I have watched this movie, I can finally prepare myself for related questions about the Moon during sidewalk sessions since this movie is looking to break a lot of records. :)

- Story-telling and acting wise, I still prefer the Xmen First Class which is way superior than Transformers 3. But how many guys can resist the charms of watching metal transforming into machines and back and forth many times regardless of the storyline? And for stargazers like us, the Moon part is a great bonus. :P

Anyone watched a IMAX 3D and a "normal" 3D (non-imax) version of Transformers 3? Do you notice any difference?
Last edited by Gary on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

And for stargazers like us, the Moon part is a great bonus. :P
Yes love the Moon part, brings back the grandeur of the whole Apollo program.
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

cataclysm wrote:
And for stargazers like us, the Moon part is a great bonus. :P
Yes love the Moon part, brings back the grandeur of the whole Apollo program.
And the great thing about the Sentinel crashing on the moon part is it looks very much like the moon through our visual observation. Great footage for impressing the young kids to be interested in astronomy. ;P
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
Gary

Post by Gary »

Yea. But I think, the babe looking through a retro brass telescope at the transformers may attract more people into astronomy. :)

There was a scene when the capsule was approaching the Moon. The view of Moon through the capsule's glass panel was quite nicely rendered in 3D. Though it lasted only a few seconds. Two words flashed in my mind - spacewalk, Nagler! :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

Warned~! =P
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Hahaha... I just realized the title changed to "may have spoilers"
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Gary, I warned you about the first row part :P

Yea, the side seats are very inconducive for viewing. The 3d effect will look slightly distorted because 3d glasses assume some viewing angle in order to make it work. It'll be bearable for short (~1hr) movies, but after that it starts to get you and you'll feel a little giddy.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!