WTS : 6-inch Classical Cassegrain

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
Traveler

WTS : 6-inch Classical Cassegrain

Post by Traveler »

Hi, i'm selling a 6 inch classical cassegrain that i got a couple of months ago from this forum. I've since gotten an 8inch SCT and so selling this off. Please note the scope is quite heavy for its aperture. Ard 8kg i think. So it'll need at least a GPDX to mount it steadily.
Condition is very good and the mirrors are very clean with no fungus.
Selling $300.

alweek
Favourite scope: Nexstar 4se

Re: 6-inch Classical Cassegrain

Post by alweek »

hi,
interested. can you give a bit more details on the OTA either here or by PM?

1. brand?
2. OTA specs if you know? focal length? crayford focuser etc?
3. what else included? eyepiece, etc?

thanks!
Alan
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

alweek wrote:hi,

1. brand?

thanks!
Alan
Hi Alan, sorry i totally forgotten abt the specs! The scope is of unknown brand. I have an old type written manual that states it was made in Tokyo probably over 20 years ago. F/13.6; rack and pinion focuser. The OTA comes with a vixen dovetail. No eyepiece or finder included.
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

alweek wrote:hi,

1. brand?

thanks!
Alan
Hi Alan,
I sold that scope to him, so I know it well. I sold it off because I had to give up astronomy as hobby due to developing bilateral cataracts. It was my last scope, out of 4 scopes sold, because I liked it very much despite its weight.
I originally bought it from a German vendor here (please refer to original post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3302) for about SGD$1400, including shipping, 6 years ago. Very good for planetary views. Excellent on moon.
Here are the specs as far as I know:
Brandless (probably DIY, Japan-made Model R-6) 6" Classical Cassegrain, Primary Mirror 152mm, Focal Length 2040mm @ f/13.4, 1.25" Rack-and-Pinion Focuser, Light Gathering Power 460x, Resolving Power (Rayleigh Resolution) 0.8 arcsec, Limiting Stellar Magnitude 12.7, Maximum Useable Magnification 360x, Tube Weight 8.3kg, with custom-machined M42 screw-mount camera adaptor.
Alvin
Traveler

Re: WTS : 6-inch Classical Cassegrain

Post by Traveler »

Thanks Alvin for the info! Hope you'll be able to get back to observing soon!
alvinsclee

Re: WTS : 6-inch Classical Cassegrain

Post by alvinsclee »

@Traveler... I am probably not coming back to visual astronomy (arm-chair reading and general binocular viewing would be more likely). I will also be giving up photography and will soon put up some items for sale here as well as in ClubSnap. Don't want to stress my eyes too much. In fact, I am going into Amateur Radio (HAM Radio), as I still have my hearing and voice intact :D

@Alan... yes, the scope is considered heavy for its aperture...probably because it was built to last, like a tank! (joking only). A good mount is highly recommended. I used Vixen Portamount, good enough for my visual purposes... but I think the scope deserves a sturdier mount if you want to go high magnification :)