WTB: 10x50 Binoculars that are water proof

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
garygoh

WTB: 10x50 Binoculars that are water proof

Post by garygoh »

I want to buy a 10x50 binoculars that are water proof. My budget is around $250, is there any recommendation for any brand ? I was thinking of getting a grand eye bino when I go Hong Kong next month but seems like it is not water proof. Anybody use Grandeye brand bino 10x50 before , and is it good ?
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: WTB: 10x50 Binoculars that are water proof

Post by cloud_cover »

Nikon Action Ex 10x50. I have a pair and I highly recommend it
While its not as premium as the top end, its very clear (Gary will testify to that), very well balanced (important when holding) and the edges are tolerable - distortion is not usually noticable unless you're looking for it.
Its waterproof and internally purged (means technically, no internal fungus) plus it has a "no-fault" warranty from Nikon, if not bought on the grey market.
I think you should be able to get it for around $250 or maybe just a slight top-up :)
Of course you can also get it from various shops which will sell it for up to $750 :mrgreen:
Take note though - the cheaper Action series (not Ex) are not waterproof and their optics are slightly inferior so don't mistake one for the other :)
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

@garygoh - Finally get to meet you! :) You looked more rugged now. Time to update your avatar pic. :)

I do not have any experience with GE's 10x50 bino. Only managed to look through the big binocular Clifford bought from them. Very good views through this big bino, most memorable is Venus + Pleiades conjunction in 2012!

$250 is a decent budget. Just wanna say just because you are travelling to HK, you need not force yourself to buy some astro stuff there. If there is a good bino that could be bought here or online, can also go ahead. Perhaps you can contact the HK Astronomical Society (http://www.hkas.org.hk/) and ask them about this. They may be able to offer you more options in HK and maybe let you look through some of their binoculars.

Some amateur astronomers is of the opinion that 10x bino offers no significant visible advantage over 8x when it comes to magnification. And in return, gain more portability and stability while in use. So you may also want to research on getting a premium 8x40/42 bino instead of a good/average 10x50.

Again, highly recommend you read this book available from loan in the library:
"Stargazing with Binoculars"
http://catalogue.nlb.gov.sg/cgi-bin/spy ... /5889943,1

While you are there, perhaps you may be keen to visit the astro theme park:
http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/ce/Museum/Space/ ... tro_en.php

Joke Lei Ho Wan! (Wishing you good luck!)

@Cloud_cover - Alamak, I need to attend which court to testify again? :P But yeah, that Nikon Action Ex 10x50 is a good bino. So good I have no intention to bring any of mine when we go up north. Andromeda Galaxy! :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

@GaryGoh, I've a 8x42 N2 filled bino (roof prism design) from GE, I can pass to Gary Chee to let you try before you decide if you want to get from GE. IIRC, the price is about S$110
garygoh

Post by garygoh »

Thanks all for the reply, I'm getting a 10x50 binoculars so that I can put it into my samurai 60L dry cabinet which is currently loaded with camera stuff. I just got a quote from GE saying that they had 1pc nikon 10x50 Action EX in stock, HK $1280 self collect from their H.K. office, is this price cheaper then Singapore ? I try to check out also astro scientific at SCC for any bargain.

Hi Clifford ,

I'm interested to test out your bino ?
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

@GaryGoh, ok I'll pass it to Gary Chee, you can meet with him @ his sidewalk event.
garygoh

Post by garygoh »

Hi Clifford,

Thanks I will get it from gary chee when I met him.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

If you can, do try the binoculars out before buying. I bought a pair yesterday and tested a range in the shop, across various makes and prices. They were all roof prism type and 8x or 10 x 42 (I already have a good pair of 10 x 50 porro prisms, but wanted something a bit more compact for travel). I selected the ones that, at least for my eyes, gave the best view.
Ideally they should be tested under the night sky, but that wasn't possible.

Go well!
Jeremy
garygoh

Post by garygoh »

Hi Jeremy,

Where did you buy the binoculars from ? Do you have any recommended shop that I can buy from ?
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Probably not much good to you as I am in UK. But the principle is the same: try out if you can.
I bought Opticron Discovery 8x42 for GBP 161

Go well!
Jeremy