WTB: My First Telescope!

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
timorousness

WTB: My First Telescope!

Post by timorousness »

Hi all,

Finally diving into this headfirst after months of procrastinating.

I did some research and really wanted to get a Orion XT6/XT8 but unfortunately it's a little out of my budget.

Therefore I'm now looking for a Celestron 127EQ PowerSeeker Telescope or similar.

Looking forward to your replies and offers!

Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: WTB: My First Telescope!

Post by Hardwarezone »

The 127eq is a bird-jones reflector while the xt6/8 mirrors are the preferred parabolic curvature mirror.
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/47989 ... ?p=6269385

also look at sky-watcher and GSO products , being available in Asia gives them a cost advantage compared to Orion's products exclusive to USA with it's higher shipping cost to SG
timorousness

Post by timorousness »

Hardwarezone wrote:The 127eq is a bird-jones reflector while the xt6/8 mirrors are the preferred parabolic curvature mirror.
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/47989 ... ?p=6269385

also look at sky-watcher and GSO products , being available in Asia gives them a cost advantage compared to Orion's products exclusive to USA with it's higher shipping cost to SG
Thanks, I will do some more research. And look at some of the telescopes that are being retailed locally and regionally.

Anyone has their old ones to let go, do get into contact! Looking to start on the right note!
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

If your budget is tight, I suggest you get a good pair of binoculars to start off with.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
timorousness

Post by timorousness »

Mariner wrote:If your budget is tight, I suggest you get a good pair of binoculars to start off with.
I have around 300-400 SGD to spend on my first item. You reckon with that budget I should get a binoculars?
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Yes.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
haejae
Favourite scope: astromaster 130eq:p

Post by haejae »

Just adding on, i myself have a 127eq. Pretty impressive for a beginner already.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
timorousness

Post by timorousness »

haejae wrote:Just adding on, i myself have a 127eq. Pretty impressive for a beginner already.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input! Just weighing my options after all the fantastic advice re good pair of bino vs telescope
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Personally, I would prefer the telescope over bino as you can see planets and more deep sky objects with telescope. With special filter, you can see the sun with its sunspots too.

I am using astromaster eq 130. It is short tube, easy to handle. Just that I find the focal length a bit short (650 mm).
SebastianTai
Vendor
Favourite scope: Officina Stellare Pro RC 800
Location: 137, Jalan Pahang, Setapak, Kuala Lumpur 53000 Malaysia

Post by SebastianTai »

Can PM me if you are interested in quality skywatcher telescopes. We have refractors, cassegrains and reflector type.