Last call for 8" Portaball [SOLD]

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Last call for 8" Portaball [SOLD]

Post by acc »

Ok, I am putting my Mag1 Instruments 8" Portaball up for sale again on Singastro for one last time. S$2700 gets you this wonderful scope with zambuto optics, 4-vane spider, laser collimator, light shroud, light shield and full electrical package for a dew-free observation session. Reviews on the internet will tell you what a fine scope this is.

The mirror has a very light scratch that does not have a discernible impact on the image. I can assist with a mirror recoat that will remove the scratch and restore the mirror to pristine condition (but is not neccessary).

Potential buyers must view and purchase the scope from 20-25 Jun after which the scope will be shipped to the US for sale. I already have a US offer to buy the scope for S$3100, so my $2700 price is reasonable and final.

Check out www.mag1instruments.com for current prices and a 8-10 month waiting list.

Email me at acchien@sbcglobal.net for queries.

cheers
cc
Last edited by acc on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

I have said before that i really hate to see such a good scope leave sg, but i'm worried that if i go ns, the scope might just sit in the drybox till i get out of ns. I'm still hesitating at the moment. In the case if nobody picks it up, do drop me a pm or an sms and i'll see if we can work out a deal somehow.

~MooEy~
acc
Administrator

Post by acc »

Hi MooEy
I would really like to keep the ball in Sg too, and also save myself the risk and hassle of bringing it back to the US. Will be glad to work out a deal with you espy since I know you will appreciate the fine optics. And also understanding that you will soon be an NS, an 'intallment plan' is fine with me too. We can work out a deal :)

For those who might be hesitating, here's some commonly cited reasons as to why a Portaball is a great scope:

1) Ease of motion - conventional dobs have awkward motions
when looking over head (where seeing is best!). You
have to really force the scope hard in the azimuth
direction. PBalls have no such effect; overhead is
same as rest of sky.

2) Tube rotation - in a PBall if you dont like where
the eyepiece is, if its uncomfortable, you just rotate
the tube. Conventional dob you are usually stuck.

3) All self contained - battery, heaters, fans, etc. are
all built-in. Less bits to carry out.

4) Cools fast -- light weight. Built in ventalation
fans

5) Can be disassembled into small package for transport.
No-tools setup.

6) Superb Zambuto optics.

7) Excellent mechanics.

8) Peter Smitka engineering / customer service.

I do not want to sell this scope without my presence, hence the sale period of 20-25 Jun.

cheers
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

I would be really dissapointed if this scope has to leave sg...

People here should learn how to appreciate a fine scope like this and not just dwell on all those fancy electronic scopes.

I had a wonderful time with this scope and I sell it cheap because I want this scope to stay here. If this goes back to US, seriously, I don't think I would want to sell my things cheap next time. I don't see the point anymore.
acc
Administrator

Post by acc »

Vincent has a point. I used to be very pro GOTO, and I bought the Portaball from him in a leap of faith based on the unbeatable price, its great optics and formidable reputation.

It turned out my fears of star-hopping was unfounded, for it was relatively easy even from the beginning due to the scope's super smooth motion and wide FOV achieveable with the right eyepieces. And with the portaball, I no longer have to lug around a tripod, dew heaters, brick batteries large enough to kill, for everything is built-in. And no electronics to die on me either! :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
RyoNpepper

Post by RyoNpepper »

Got a wild ideas to suggest.... since it's such a wonderful scope and VinSnr is rather upset about the scope leaving Singapore, why don't we Singastro members chip in some money, everyone, buy it from CC and let the scope stays as a Singastro property? :D
Then CC must give some discount also lah.. :shock:

Or is there any School Astronomy societies willing to buy and keep it there in their school?

Possible? :wink:
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

That's a crazy suggestion...

but I'm a crazy person myself... ;) It will need many other "crazy" people to make it work though.

I remember that this scope drew the longest queue during Mar watch II at Bedok reservoir where we held a public star party.

Maybe if someone is willing to buy it and donate it to a school or at least keep it for the sake of the astronomical community here, then cc won't have to send if out of the country?

Just my 2 cts worth.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

no way any sch will buy this. most schools will require a proper proposal before making purchases. and 2nd handed stuff are definately out of question.

buying it up and donating, hmm... chris having more evil plans this time

~MooEy~
acc
Administrator

Post by acc »

MooEy is right and besides, having the scope in a school's possession is equivalent to scope abuse. The mirror will get ruined sooner or later by well-intending students trying to give the mirror a good polish... So this option is out :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
A 5 YeaR Old

Post by A 5 YeaR Old »

acc wrote: The mirror will get ruined sooner or later by well-intending students trying to give the mirror a good polish
my astro's club students wont dare to mess with the optics. So far, we have 6 scopes, none damaged by students. When cleaning, we use a cleaning brush. so thats an unfounded worry :)

buying it up and donating
well, my club wont mind an extra scope :P any nice guy out there?