Interested in buying good, reliable telescope

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
never_1992

Interested in buying good, reliable telescope

Post by never_1992 »

I am currently looking for good deals for a telescope for use in a school astronomy society.

Proposed budget is around S$2000 for >5.5 inch which includes the full set(OTA, mounts, etc). Alternatively, I would also like to purchase mounts for use (preferably alt azimuth mounts) that can support up to 8inch OTA.

Anyone interested to sell please give me a offer and details of the equip you are selling.

thanks lots
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

hmm may i ask which sch is that? Astronomy looks promising nowdays with more sch into astronomy.
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

For what purpose? Planets viewing or otherwise? Planets viewing would not require high fstop.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I think the best all-around scope for a school that costs $2K SGD is a used 10" Celestron or Meade on a fork mount, preferably with GoTo.

Or if it has to be new, I believe the Nexstar 8 can be had for $1200 USD.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

hmm.. get 1 good 1 or get 2 good enough? if got 2 scope.. better chance for the students to get their hands on.. thats also depend how big is the group..
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

well most HS in the US get a big Meade or Celestron.

that's the reason for my suggestion... the GoTo helps a lot because there's lots of light pollution. plus the tracking means lots of students can have a look. Another possibility is the G8N (Celestron 8" Newt on a CG-5 mount) which is like $600-ish US. For a $2k budget, can get 2.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Which school is that? From my experience in a school club, I will suggest starting with a dobsonian (meade). Simplicity with a big aperture and rugged for beginner use. Will cost below 2k. You can then use the remaining budget to get some bino, eyepieces and for organising events. But you are using school funds to buy that right? You need to get it from an authorized vendor who can give you a proper invoice.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I see a number of used scopes for sale from high schools which are Meade LX-10's and the like. Also back in the Philippines the astronomical bureau uses 12" Meades for their public outreach.

The problem with the dob is that.. in the city most of the time you'll be looking at planets and the moon. And that needs high magnification. Without a tracking mount, you can't keep the objects in the field for any significant period of time.
staroptics_robin
Vendor

Re: Interested in buying good, reliable telescope

Post by staroptics_robin »

never_1992 wrote:I am currently looking for good deals for a telescope for use in a school astronomy society.

Proposed budget is around S$2000 for >5.5 inch which includes the full set(OTA, mounts, etc). Alternatively, I would also like to purchase mounts for use (preferably alt azimuth mounts) that can support up to 8inch OTA.

Anyone interested to sell please give me a offer and details of the equip you are selling.

thanks lots
YOU GOT P.M.
never_1992

telescope

Post by never_1992 »

With regards to the telescope, I'm looking for reflectors >5.5 inch and manual mounts. Anyone with offers pls post reply. thx lots. Do post your reply if you have any recommendations!