Interested in buying good, reliable telescope

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

I feel what Croy suggested with the Celestron 150 Newt is a good consideration for your needs. Alot depends on where the society/club wishes to work towards and what it wishes to present. General viewing so teaching the night skies is possible, which leaves the option of upgrading down the road on a larger scope for the more experienced once they get a feel of the skies. Also maintenance down the road.
Sometimes starting out with all the bells and whistles leaves less room for options in the long run and freedom to downgrade/trade/sell when things get better or need a change. Some will probably insist the bigger the better, then don't play a part in the club, where some may think it was a waste of finance and lose interest. Finding a balance is key, where emphasis is on motivation, rather than pleasing the masses.

Just my thoughts and whatever the choice, having the FUN factor is the important aspect, rather than FUN to offset the costs. Such a society is a healthy program for astronomers or hobbyist in SG. I wish it the BEST!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

For me, I would like to see an emphasis on the whole Astronomy learning, which is the study of the night sky. Sadly, telescope sizes and Goto's have taken the whole night sky navigation, constellations, nabula's, stars, etc etc out of the whole Astronomy side of things. I'm sure many out there study and enjoy Astronomy with a good scope, to them, I support the passion. But it's sad when others go online/see a pic and come to you to slew to co-ords so and so, in the wish to see what they saw in a pic. When I explain how to get there with the naked eye, they just wish to view what they came for and leave...mostly disappointed cos a nabula is not gonna have those colors seen in long exposure AP.

Bino's and simple scopes on a good camp out with star charts is a great learning tool for beginners. Details can come later. With SG skies, even a large scope can be terrible...lol!

We hope this feedback helps not just with scope selection but the planning process...as we wish this society and hopefully more to follow suite, grow to something with recognition and passion. Many have fizzled...but if the passion and motivation is there, it's doesn't matter if you have a cheap scope. The coming together and sharing of a common ground is wonderful! Scopes are secondary to me when it comes to Astronomy! The best telescope that last a lifetime is the FREE scope called 'The Eye'!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
staroptics_robin
Vendor

Re: telescope

Post by staroptics_robin »

never_1992 wrote:With regards to the telescope, I'm looking for reflectors >5.5 inch and manual mounts. Anyone with offers pls post reply. thx lots. Do post your reply if you have any recommendations!
I propose Vixen 150 reflector /Porta Mount sf model, is a good and reliable beginner scope., cost about $1500, pm me if you're keen. you can find photo in my website under vixen product.

<staropticsscientific.com>

Robin Low
Chris

Post by Chris »

That is indeed a very good scope and an awesome deal. Our school also bought our scope from Robin. Very good for astrophotography and reliable.
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

I have the Omni XLT 150 reflector Croy is talking about. The EQ mount works fine in Singapore without any mod. I only modded mine to enable the counterweights to swing without hitting the tripod. I actually have an extension pier which prevents that from happening.

I am glad I didn't sell it the last time I put it up for sale. It's a great performing scope.
never_1992

Post by never_1992 »

Narrowed done my options to Omni XLT 150 and Vixen R150S Newtonian Reflector Telescope.

Any suggestions?

hahas thx
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi there,

well if I were to decide what scope is suitable for an astronomy society in a local SG school, I would go for a Newtonian Dobsonian styled. Considering that most astro society don't really have a lot of time available for each obs session and that there are lots of members in the society; a Dobsonian would give the largest returns for the lowest opportunity cost. A 8 or 10 inch non-truss tube would be more than suffice to provide hours of enjoyment, fun and education with regards to the night skies.

It is simple to use, low maintance and can be easy transported from the club-house to the obs-site or on a chartered van should there be a public event. Being an open tube system means that it would not dew so quickly and that cleaning of the mirror and calibration could be easily performed. No point getting a EQ mount so soon, as that will be usefully only when dabbling into astro-photography and EQ mounts are harder to use.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I suggest you to go for the Vixen R150S Newtonian Reflector Telescope. It is a good beginner scope, but can also be suited for the amateur astronomer who wish to do serious observations. It is more portable than a dobsonian, meaning you can carry it onto public transport and won't look like a funeral procession while carrying it around. you would like to do that cause the better star gazing sites are at rather uluh places such as kranji/ ecp/ pulau semakau/ubin etc. I am very impressed by the Porta mount's simplicity (in design and ease of use) and stability. An altitude azimuth mount is prefered for the beginner cause he or she won't be doing much tracking or astrophotography. An EQ mount is harder to use and will require some experience. What beginning astroclubs require is a scope that is very user friendly and have enough aperture to give the observer good images with minimal aberrations. If you wish to do astrophotog (like my club) in the future, you can just get a new mount and throw the R150S on it.

In summary, the Vixen R150S Newtonian Reflector Telescope with Porta mount is a sturdy, fool-proof set up. Just point and look.