WTS: 10" Newtonian parts

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
orly_andico

WTS: 10" Newtonian parts

Post by orly_andico »

Hi all,

I have a 10" dobsonian (incomplete) sitting in the bomb shelter. This was my scope back in Philippines and I had many enjoyable sessions with it, including seeing the Humpback Whale Galaxy.

I have no idea of the quality of the mirror, it is a GSO that I bought from Joe Sunseri of Telescope Warehouse about 7 years ago. But I was able to take it up to 600X on the Moon. I am not an experienced observer, so YMMV. This is not a Royce or Zambuto!!!

note due to age, you can see pinholes in the coating if you hold it up to the sky. I am told pinholes are normal / expected, and the mirror is fine, but if you are fussy maybe stay clear. I was planning to finish it, star-test it, then have it refigured and recoated by Cary at OWL. If no takers I'll probably do that (far cheaper than buying a Royce.. not that I need another big scope..)

It comes with a new 2" secondary (old one got a chip on the back), new 2" GSO crayford with 10:1 reduction, and a 4-vane spider and secondary holder from Meridian Telescopes. It has a home-made Gary Seronik-style plate mirror cell.

Right now.. I have fabricated the mirror box, rocker box, and upper cage, all of 9mm plywood (in some cases double-laminated). I also have a bunch of aluminum tubing for the trusses but never got around to it. It also has sector bearings riding on Ebony Star, and virgin teflon pads.

So what's missing is some means to attach the trusses, and a base board. A week's effort at most for someone handy. Oh, and a good sanding. I have a can of polyurethane varnish that I can throw in (not cheap!)

RFS: the C9.25 is very similar and makes it redundant, besides I lack the energy to complete this thing. But I guess it's 80% complete. I'll probably regret selling it if ever (first "real" big scope for me).

I will include a 25mm Plossl, Telrad finder (since I'm getting fizzy's 9x50), and an Orion collimating eyepiece that I got from Richard for $70.

First $500 gets it. The focuser alone is $139 USD (plus shipping). If you cost out the parts on Astromart you'll see that even with the need for recoating, this is a pretty good deal, so the asking price is very reasonable. It's a shame it sits in the bomb shelter (besides I wanna buy this swanky Moonlight focuser for my 100ED). But if you have no idea how to complete this, you will be frustrated. This is only for someone who's VERY handy with tools.

You'll also have to pick it up though (bulky!)
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Pics:

The Dell E6400 is not included in the sale, but to give an idea of the size.

Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Orly. I am interested. Please reserve for me. Thanks!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Hi Gary, sure!

BTW I started rebuilding this here in SG, it's my best build so far *sniff* (because I bought the right power tools for it).

I have already done first light with it (used some broomstick handles and masking tape to temporarily attach the upper and lower portions). It's fine, so like I said... a week of work tops. Unless you want to throw away all my manual labor :-D
Gary

Post by Gary »

Cool! Great pictures. PM'ed you.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

The box is over-size, because I had illusions of putting in a 12.5" mirror eventually. Also the box is deep, so it can be shortened but at the expense of moving the balance point up and thus needing weights.

Right now it is bottom heavy, which for a Dob is a good thing..
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Post by KKK26 »

Gary, telescope collector? I believe you have a few type of scopes :)
Gary

Post by Gary »

@KKK: Do you have a $100 8" SCT to complete my collection? :P
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Orly, nice job so far. Wish you could hang in there and complete the scope.