MCGILL-VIXEN SEMI-APO SHORT TUBE REFRACTOR PROMO!!!

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
Jim McGill
Vendor

MCGILL-VIXEN SEMI-APO SHORT TUBE REFRACTOR PROMO!!!

Post by Jim McGill »

Hi All,

Please take a look at the latest promotion from us - www.mcgill.com.sg

People who have yet to own a first scope might be very interested. Cheers!

Regards,
Jim, McGill
9108-1059
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

wow...this is a good deal but being semi-apo, how does it perform colour- wise?
At 370mm when tucked, this certainly is something very portable.
If it had been an APO, I would have considered replacing my ED80 with this baby as I personally like stuff to be as small as possible...heh heh.
But of course, who ever heard of an APO at S$699!!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Airconvent wrote:wow...this is a good deal but being semi-apo, how does it perform colour- wise?
At 370mm when tucked, this certainly is something very portable.
If it had been an APO, I would have considered replacing my ED80 with this baby as I personally like stuff to be as small as possible...heh heh.
But of course, who ever heard of an APO at S$699!!

rich
I have ask Jim to let me test it, he is still yet to reply me.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

i am thinking of getting it as a finder, but again no cross hair....hmmm and needed to machine a bracket.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Hi all,

The scope is a very good achro and not a semi-apo. It may have performance approaching a semi-apo but is not one. The PDF file itself says it is an achromatic doublet. In the interest of true advertising, perhaps Jim would like to amend the title of this thread :wink:

Nevertheless, it is a good price for the scope.

VinSnr, I do have an older version of this scope. If you want, I can loan it to you for testing purposes. I originally bought it for birding photography, but I found that the focal length is insufficient for me. After you test it, I will probably sell it on Astromart.

Kay Heem
Jim McGill
Vendor

SEMI-APO or not???

Post by Jim McGill »

Hi Kay Heem,

Thanks for your feedback.

Understand there are a lot of gray areas when we talk about VERY GOOD ACHROMAT or SEMI-APO. To some people, it’s the same thing but to others, like you for instance, it’s not the equivalent. But then can you provide some clear definitions to tell people the difference? I don’t think it’s that easy, right?

SEMI-APO performance for this scope is assessed by Barry Carter, quite a famous person on the Internet. For more info, please refer the link below:
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.as ... ay=reviews

To be fair, we have also mentioned that it’s an achromatic doublet, not some special glasses, so we don’t see the need to make any changes to our material.

Nevertheless it’s different when compared to what some famous companies are doing, claiming that particular models are APO when in fact they are only SEMI-APO as appraised by experts.

Let the buyer decide. As long as the buyer is happy, anything will do! Cheers!

Thanks.

Jim, McGill
9108-1059
jermng

Post by jermng »

Hi,
I believe even the review says that 'this Vixen has to be semi-APO in performance.' and does't say that the vixen actually IS a semi-APO.
Anyway, from what I have read in an article by Phil Harrington, genuine semi apo scopes are those with at least ED optical glass used in the making of the objective lens instead of using multiple lenses like a true APO. An achromatic doublet doesn't use ED glasses.

Anyway, regarding your statement about, "Let the buyer decide. As long as the buyer is happy, anything will do!" I think it's up to the merchant to clarify what a product actually is. This reminds me of when I was shopping for my binos and this guy told me a particular pair was made in japan but when I flipped it around there was a sticker that said "Made in China" when I questioned him, he said, "well, there's nothing wrong with China what, they also make good products" .. well .. question is, then why in the first place was he dishonest about his product.

Not trying to draw a comparison, but I guess all of us consumers here would really like to have 100% reliable merchants.

Regards,
Jeremy Ng
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

OK, to be fair, there are definitions for achromats and apochromats but there is no widely-accepted definition for semi-apo.

If anyone wants one, I did find one on the net:

http://jeff.medkeff.com/astro/optics/op ... itions.htm

However, in order not to appear to mislead potential customers, vendors should actually describe their products more accurately e.g. "using flourite element" or "ED glass" or give spot diagrams. If an official manufacturer describes it as a achromat, vendors should not add in terms that are without accepted definitions.

I can accept the description "a very good achromat", as I have used it and do feel it *is* a very good achromat. :D
kayheem

Re: SEMI-APO or not???

Post by kayheem »

Jim McGill wrote:
Let the buyer decide. As long as the buyer is happy, anything will do! Cheers!
Hi Jim,

I understand that you said that 'tongue-in-cheek' :D

I believe all of us are customers at some point in time every day. I am sure that as a consumer, all of us would like our merchants to be honest with us in the product or service description and not need to have to verify everything personally in detail before we buy it.